Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

LHC - End of earth??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008 | 09:05 AM
Default RE: LHC - End of earth??

It would be cool if something happened like in Steven King's The Mist or like the game Half-Life.

Old 09-10-2008 | 09:22 AM

There was an article on the BBC about how we need to stop spending billions of dollars on research that has no immediate benefit. They wanted to spend all the money on climate control research and helping poor nations. I remember seeing a NOVA episode about experimental physics and one of the researchers said this stuff won't be of any use for decades to come.

If anyone honestly believed that the end of the world was going to be caused by this then I have a real nice bridge to sell you. I agree that we will be mostly disappointed/confused with what we do find out.

Old 09-10-2008 | 09:29 AM

^ Climate control, good one. It kills me when people think we will be able to ever understand mother earth enough to control the climate. Hell no one can even give you a 100% guarantee as to what the weather will be like tomorrow, or even later tonight, so the thought that people can predict this global warming bs or think they can control the climate when they have no idea how it works is staggering.
They just fired up the thing today and maybe it'll help with all the above, I don't know. I more hoping to get some extra dimensions outta the deal, this place sucks.

Old 09-10-2008 | 02:25 PM

The only people that even have room for an opinion on this thing causing the end of the earth are the whiz brain physicists. You can't really go "In my opinion this won't cause the end of the world" because you really don't know jack about what it's capable of. What we do know is or at least can assume with 99.9999% accuracy that the scientists considered that a long time ago and took the necessary precautions, of course they don't want to destroy the world...they wouldn't get to play with science any more. Anyway, I think it's pretty neat and am rooting for them in proving the big bang occured. People get scared into thinking this thing will mark the end of the world because the drama queens spread it around, they get on tv and shout how unethical it is or something and everyone with a borderline IQ of 80 gets in a tizzy and tells all their friends so suddenly everyone is an expert on particle physics.

Old 09-10-2008 | 04:16 PM

I've never met anyone that was seriously concerned about CERN.. There were actually a few "end of the world" parties around here. XD

Old 09-10-2008 | 04:56 PM
Retired Moderator

I hope it is as world disrupting as Y2K!

Old 09-10-2008 | 05:03 PM

i don't think we'll be able to create a black hole. to create one, you need something with the energy output as, i dunno, a star?

honestly i can't wait to see what kind of crazy things they can create/destroy. this 'god particle' theory is interesting as well.

Old 09-10-2008 | 05:12 PM

I watched the doc. on science channel last Sunday. He said this machine is 7 times more powerful than the first one and they will experiment the big bang. Hmm... He also said we still don't know the source of the gravity. That was interesting since it's something we build everything based on it.

Old 09-10-2008 | 05:32 PM

ORIGINAL: QuickNDeadly

I watched the doc. on science channel last Sunday. He said this machine is 7 times more powerful than the first one and they will experiment the big bang. Hmm... He also said we still don't know the source of the gravity. That was interesting since it's something we build everything based on it.
The 2nd Most powerful particle accelerator you speak of is Tevatron: 7 times less powerfull

Here's the LHC:

Edit: For scale, the runway at the top of the picture where it says "LHCb" is over 2 miles long.

Old 09-10-2008 | 07:45 PM
Cro

I was looking at the wrong date:
"Either way, the end of the world will not happen on Wednesday, for the simple reason that the LHC will not generate any collisions that day. These will probably be initiated "in a few weeks" as part of a phased programme to commission the LHC, testing its equipment and evaluating work procedures before cranking it up to full strength, said Jenni."

I really hope a black hole is created and jimi hendrix walks out of it.

Quick Reply: LHC - End of earth??