Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

LHC - End of earth??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008 | 11:07 PM
Cro
Default LHC - End of earth??

I've been keeping up with this project since they started it. It is the largest particle collider created thus far. It was accelerate particles to with a millionth the speed of light. At certain collisions the temperature will be 100000 times hotter than the sun. (on earth, lovely)
There was a theory in midst of building that there is a possability of the creation of black hole that will destroy the earth. It has since been 'disproven' even though i dont like the logic for the theory. They are starting it up for the first time this Wednesday but wont be to full power for months.

Not sure if any of you have read about this but either wayit will be a new time for man kind. It will either destroy us all or mankind will learn more about our universe than ever before.

http://www.physorg.com/news140059929.html

Old 09-08-2008 | 11:17 PM
Default RE: LHC - End of earth??

Very slim possibility it's going to go other than expected

Either way I have enough shotgun shells to take out my block and some, so **** it!

Old 09-08-2008 | 11:22 PM
Banned

Yeah, I don't know if you read Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (the prequel to The Da Vinci Code), but a CERN particle accelerator is central to the plot.

Keep in mind that during the Manhatten Project, some people had similar theories when the first a-bombs were tested. Some involved in the project feared an unstoppable chain reaction.

Old 09-08-2008 | 11:25 PM
Banned
Old 09-08-2008 | 11:59 PM

Black Holes? Newcastle on a Saturday night. Yeah I've heard about this before, ABC TV are doing a doco with one of the main guys behind, in the promo he actually mentions the 'possible' outcomes with some glee in voice. Probably wants to be the ultimate serial killer. As for the end of the earth, got to happen sooner or later, as long as I'm not sitting in the dunny or something equally mundane when it happens, would not want to miss it!

Old 09-09-2008 | 12:12 AM
Cro

The manhattan project was a chain reaction, it gave too much power to the ****hole people we put in office these days. It sucks, the brightest people we can imagine do all this work in the name of science and discovery just to create ultimate distruction. Hisory repeats itself.

BBC will be broadcasting live on oct 10 when the first beam is acclerated to collision. Broadcast suddenly cuts, kiss your *** goodByYyyyyyyyyyE.

Old 09-09-2008 | 12:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Cro

i dont like the logic for the theory

Please...elaborate. The black hole scenario is just silly and irrelevant to the purpose of the LHC. What are you, part of the christian paparazzi...you're certainly not a particle physics enthusiast.

Old 09-09-2008 | 03:36 AM

Not to mention the strangelets that might convert all of the matter in our universe! :P Yeah, no. Don't worry about anything like that. We're probably just going to run research just like we have at all of the other particle accelerators without destroying the universe.

Old 09-09-2008 | 05:18 AM

The scariest part is the seemingly most intelligent people out there are always the ones with absolutely NO common sense...............

Old 09-09-2008 | 05:43 AM

+1 Rod38um...they are so wrapped up in knowing... they dont think if consequences. however,I dont think this will be the end of the world. I think the findings will be disappointing to their expectations. things just desinegrate, doenst mean there is a black hole.

Well, maybe we can keep anti-matter in little viles.. when we see a squid doing something stupid, we throw it at him and it will suck up his bike.... certainly would make trash removal easy too.

Oh, and the black hole in every gallaxy. thats just the butthole of the gallaxy next to us. they crap out things they dont want and it ends up here. Like boybands and mullets.

Quick Reply: LHC - End of earth??