Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Lesson learned...tighten those lug nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lesson learned...tighten those lug nuts!

Had a little incident yesterday. Took my beater '75 Dodge to pick up some firewood that we had cut out of a cornfield fence row. I loaded the ol' girl down pretty good, had quite a bit of weight sitting in the bed when I decided to move to different spot. I took off and got up to about 10 mph when I felt the back end hit the ground hard and suddenly I was looking up at the sky.

I jumped out and found that the rear left wheel had popped off. So....I couldn't leave it there so we unloaded all the wood, locked 'er in 4hi and took off down the road! You guys should have seen the sparks!

I guess what happened was the last time I took the wheel off I didn't tighten the lugs enough, and the vibration slowly rounded out the lug holes in wheel. As soon as I put some decent weight on it the lug nuts pulled right through the wheel. Good thing I wasn't cruising down the highway when this happened!

Name:  IMG_0988.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  132.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0989.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  99.0 KB

And here's a pic of the truck, just thought I'd throw it up here because I think she's pretty...

Name:  IMG_0609.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  155.3 KB

Old 04-19-2011, 10:19 PM

she is pretty...when she has four wheels lol

im looking to get into an older truck myself. Chevy 4sp, with a 4in lift is my goal.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 PM

I had that happen to me a year or so ago but it was the front tire in my friends truck. luckily I had just pulled into their gravel driveway. but it was really scary. good thing your ok. Im glad it happened in the driveway and not while doing 55 down the road. good thing you werent on the road either. nice truck though

Old 04-19-2011, 11:01 PM

Couple of years ago i saw a pickup on the highway doin around 65mph and the rear left wheel came off... It was 6ish in the morning and i was driving about a hundred feet behind him.. swerved around and avoided him but the guy next to me wasnt so lucky

Same deal tho the sparks were flying everywhere and i saw a couple of the lugs fly away

Old 04-20-2011, 10:27 AM
October 2011 ROTM

My Dad got extremely lucky a few years back. He was towing our boat down the express way at 60 mph and all of the sudden this wheel passes him and hes is like WTF! Well turns out that it was one off his trailer. Luckily it hit the median wall at the correct angle where it just rode there until it stopped it didn't bounce off into traffic. All the lugs were tight at the start of the season, just over time the 12K LBS stress of the really sharp turns to lauch it and put it in the garage loosened them. Lesson here is check them often.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:29 PM

HOW in the HELL could you not feel your wheel getting beat to $hit between the nuts and the drum?! You had to have been driving it like that for a while in order for it to have done that kind of damage to your wheel and the studs....

Old 04-20-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
My Dad got extremely lucky a few years back. He was towing our boat down the express way at 60 mph and all of the sudden this wheel passes him and hes is like WTF! Well turns out that it was one off his trailer. Luckily it hit the median wall at the correct angle where it just rode there until it stopped it didn't bounce off into traffic. All the lugs were tight at the start of the season, just over time the 12K LBS stress of the really sharp turns to lauch it and put it in the garage loosened them. Lesson here is check them often.
A buddy of mine crashed his S2000 when he was drunk - he was fine. Went off the road, no big deal..... except his wheel went bouncing down the street and hit a guy who was crossing a crosswalk and broke his leg.

It went from a simple DUI to a lot more serious because of the injury.

I still laugh my *** off thinking about the wheel bouncing at some poor unsuspecting jerk. Granted its great that no one was more seriously hurt and i'm sure the broken leg guy didn't find it so funny at the time.

I'm sure his nice big fat paycheck made him feel better about the whole affair later though.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
HOW in the HELL could you not feel your wheel getting beat to $hit between the nuts and the drum?! You had to have been driving it like that for a while in order for it to have done that kind of damage to your wheel and the studs....
Yeah I was asking myself the same question, but the truck isn't used on road very often. It's mostly used as a plow truck/wood hauler on the gravel roads and it's occasionally used as a battering ram. I probably just didn't notice the extra rattling.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:19 PM

Man rednecks have all the fun!! lol.....but seriously how could you not feel that prior to detonation!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
A buddy of mine crashed his S2000 when he was drunk - he was fine. Went off the road, no big deal..... except his wheel went bouncing down the street and hit a guy who was crossing a crosswalk and broke his leg.
BAHAHAHAHA OMG THAT SUCKS.. thats so funny but he probably has the worst luck of anyone out there. that dude on the crosswalk has the 2nd worse luck

Quick Reply: Lesson learned...tighten those lug nuts!