Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Legal Handgun Ammunition?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Legal Handgun Ammunition?

The laws vary from state to state.

in some hollowpoints are perfectly legal, in some you need the class ** license (the same class as for automatic weapons) and in some states they are for law enforcement officers only.

Check your local laws to be sure... your local PD or courthouse should be able to help you out

Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 PM

In louisiana as long as you have the concealed weapions permit you can can carry a fire arm in plain sight or not fully loaded with one in the chamber. So any ammo should be legal dont see why it wouldnt, whether the bullter will do more damage or not doesnt matter.

Without the permit the gun cannot be loaded at all, though if you have a clip IT can be loaded and sitting next to the gun.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:38 PM

Alright thanks for all your input guys. I will contact my local PD.

Pennsylvania has some gay laws on stuff thats why im not sure

Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 PM

Look into Hornady TAP FPD if you are looking for good personal defense rounds. They shoot very well through everything I shoot. Pennsylvania doesnt have any state regulations against hollow point ammunition so unless you live in some whacked out county/district/etc you should be fine with anything short of armor defeating or exsplosive rounds.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:25 PM

cbr who told you that they are illegal. i live in pa and have a carrying permit. i even had a cop check my gun out when i got pulled over to make sure it was mine and he didnt say anything about hollow points being illegal.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:06 PM

No reliable source told me they were illegal. Just talk amongst my friends it has come up and i remember it being mentioned they may be illegal. I just wanted to find out from people who actually know the laws and regulations

Old 11-24-2008, 02:11 PM

i have hollow points in my 9mm that i carry around. now ive been trying to find hydra shocks here in pa and havent been able to find those.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:42 PM

ORIGINAL: cbrsix

No reliable source told me they were illegal. Just talk amongst my friends it has come up and i remember it being mentioned they may be illegal. I just wanted to find out from people who actually know the laws and regulations
I love to hear the pure bull 56!+ that come from people who don't have a clue. Go to your local gun shop and pick up what you want. If it's illegal they won't have it, that simple. You can't set your fazer to stun, shoot to kill!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:57 PM

I would think a hollow point would be more legal than a "tipped" bullet since they travel less and slower dont they.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop

fang-talon bone crusher zombie stoppers
Just happened to have quite a few of those on hand

Curtis you bring up a very valid point. One that has been kicked around the table more times than I can even count the discussion has ranged from not only the choice of ammunition but the use of double action versus single action, hammer or hammerless handguns and it is one that people should take into consideration when making a decision
Now going to put this out there and this is not something I recommend anyone to consider but on a personal level when confronted by an combatant depending on the complete situation not the tunnel vision point of view. I personally have chose on at least one occasion to disarm the combatant and go from there. This is absolutely not something that should even be attempted without the proper training and a hell of a lot of practice under hard and practical circumstances but I'm confident in my training and my skills that I would do this again if the circumstances were right. Now if this was a work related incident I would not give it a thought I would double tap the target continue on because first of all there would be no questions beyond the normal inquiries and my choice of equipment and hardware would be predetermined and not of my own choosing for the most part. But domestically it would be a option partly because of the above concerns raised by Curtis but if it's absolutely necessary to use lethal force the Fang-Talon Bone Crusher Zombie Stoppers is what they're going to get now this is my personal choice and I'm telling you Curtis is giving you the sound advice but I would prefer to be tried by 12 than be carried by 6

Quick Reply: Legal Handgun Ammunition?