Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Layed her down. wear your gear!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Layed her down. wear your gear!

Well tonight my friends i layed my 99 900 RR down for my first (and hopefully never again) time. OUch is all i have to say. I had just pulled out of my driveway and thankfully was only going 25-35mph when i hit the baseball size rock that seemed to appear out of nowhere in the dark road. it threw my front wheel out of line so fast and violently that my left hand somehow slipped off the handgrip, and my right hand was still on the throttle. the bar/front wheel and entire bike began jerking back and forth real fast, causing me to progressively lose balance. i kept trying to grab at the left hand grip, but the bar was moving back and forth so freaken fast i was unable to grab it, and since my right hand was on the throttle still, each time the damn bar moved back and forth the bike kept lurching cuz it would cause my hand to twist the throttle a bit. i was afraid to totally let go of the bar so id stop witht he throttle. finally i knew i was going down so i kindof tried my best to push myself off/away from the bike which i think saved me from further injury. thankfully i had my leather on , which saved me from some severe road rash on my chest and stomach, cuz i slid a good ways face down on the road. I have some ugly rash on both of my palms, wrists, knuckles, and fingers...and hip ...and i got a nice look at what a knee cap looks like cuz the pavement wore right through my jeans. i just wanted to say thanks to all of you who stress wearing gear, cuz i never really used to wear my leather much, unless i knew i was gonna be riding hard. However after listening to all you guys say how important it is to wear leather and such, i began wearing mine 100% of the time less than one week ago!! had i not had on my helmet, i dont even wanna think about what id look like without any teeth and my face would be totally muckled....i slid so far on my face and stomach (felt really far, actually was probably only 30-40 feet or so, but believe me that was far enough) thankfully i was able to hop right up and shut my bike off and pick it up and wheel it back home. Now im not sure if my bike will be totalled or not, tell me what you think by my description...cuz i wont have pics for a day or two. front plastic piece is trash. right mirror is trash. right handlebar is totally snapped off. right footpeg snapped off at the mount. every piece of plastic on the right side of the bike is cracked or has a hole in it from sliding on the road. that is visually all i can tell at this point. when i ran up to it to shut it off it sou nded like it was still running normal, and it ran for maybe 5-10 seconds on its side after the bike stopped moving. it is a 1999 900 RR with 24k miles. think it'll get fixed or junked? i have no idea how the insurance guys will adjust it...thankfully i have full coverage w/ collision. any ideas what i should do from here? thanks guys. and again, i highly highly highly reccomend people to wear full gear. i wish i had more than the jacket on, such as gloves and maybe leather pants....however i am still so frigggggen happy that i had that jacket on, cuz if i hadnt....i cant imagine having what i feel on my hands right now on my entire upper body....ya should see my jacket...ill never ride again without it. ride safe. and ps. i cant wait to either get my bike fixed or get a new one and get back on.....im already having withdrawals.

kyle

Old 10-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Default RE: Layed her down. wear your gear!

Cograts and condolences at the same time...glad you still in good health....I think the bike will be fixed....and you deductible will probably pay for most of it....sucks for you....but hey maybe youll get some of your money back....lol

Old 10-09-2006, 02:14 PM

Yep, I know from experence that gear is a must. Glad to hear you're ok, for the most part. After what happened to me last week with the get off at 70 mph down an embankment, I'm definately going to be a gear **** from here on out if I see people wearing shorts and a t shirt. Sounds like your bike will be fixed, but since it's an older one possibly not. Not too sure. The main thing is you're ok.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Retired Moderator

I was told that bikes get totaled out on a regular basis because of the high cost of repair and parts. That may also be a contributing factor for such high insurance rates. On the bright side, you will have some real nice options of 2007 models to chose from. My bike was down for about a month, and I was considering renting a bike so I could get my jollies...I understand that motorcycle jones. Glad you're safe.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:18 PM

thanks for all the words and advice. Yea im definitely hoping that my bike gets totalled out, cuz i would love to get get a new 2006 or 2007 machine. I heard that if the frame has any sort of damage at all then its totalled...and i found a part of my frame up near the gas tank that is rashed up pretty good with a minor dent in it...and just the fact that my bike is 7 years old w/ 24k miles on it will probably discourage them from wanting me to fix it. I just have a fear that after being down like that that it would never ride the same....just feel like something structrual must have got bent. but what do i know? its my first bike accident. Man i wish i had gloves on. my hands are hurtin bad. anyways...ride safe and gear up. ill have pics of my bike later or tomorrow. take care.

kyle

Old 10-09-2006, 09:15 PM

sucks you didnt have gloves, they seem to be the best piece besides a helmet...since hands always go down first. Glad to hear your ok though...i dont think your bike is totalled, but this may be an excuse to get a 1kRR, lol