Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Lane splitting Illegal in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lane splitting Illegal in Florida

Alright, well, I just got myself a ticket.

Fun fun.

Was coming up to a red light, and, right infront of the car I am behind is a 954RR. So, as I roll to a stop, I go around the 1 car and pull next to the guy. He then looks at me and says, "That cop's gonna pull you."

I look at him and say, "What?!?" as the cop that had just pulled along side us turns on his lights. I pull into the parking lot, and, he comes behind me, with a blonde officer sitting next to him. He gets out, and, I say, "Yes sir?" He looks at me like I'm trash and goes, "DON'T WHAT's UP ME!!"

I take off my helmet and say, "I'm sorry, I said Yes Sir?."

He comes up to me and asked what I was thinking. I told him I honostly don't know what I am being pulled over for, so, he goes on to explain had I passed just one more car, i would be getting arrested. I appoligize again and tell him I did not know it was against the law. He asked for my license and registration, which I hand over to him, and he goes into his car.

He comes back out with my ticket, stops, looks at my bike, and asks to see the VIN, which I point out up front. He then stops, and admires the bike and asks what year it is. I tell him it is a 91 and he whistles and says, "Things in really good shape." To which I say, "Thank you."

At this point, the female officer comes over from in the car and asks how old I was. I answer telling her I am 23. She looks rather dismayed and was probably guessing 17 or 18. She then says, " Probably shouldn't have a motorcycle endorsment if you don't know the laws." I appoligize again and tell her I didn't know.

The male officer then goes on to explain what the law states, and, issues me my ticket.

I appoligize again for not knowing, and, the two had now softened up a little, and, the female then looks at me and says, if you have your motorcycle license, you should have known it was illegal. I appologize again, and, they tell me to have a nice day.

After they drive off, I am standing there looking over the ticket, and, I notice something. There is no fine anywhere on the ticket. Just the offense number. I looked up the offense number, and, I was given a careless driving ticket.

SORRY FOR THE LONG STORY, BUT, HERE'S WHAT I AM WONDERING

Now, here is my question. I know each state is different, but, if the officer fails to write down the amount of the ticket, can I do anything about it? It's only a $60 fee according to the states website. But, it's 3 points on my license. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for still being here if you read through all of that.

Tylor

Old 04-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Default RE: Lane splitting Illegal in Florida

hey i'm not too far from you. the guys i ride with talk about this topic a lot. what you did... i have done. in group rides when we get split up at a light we'll just go around a car and regroup (if it can be safely done). never been pulled over for it. in fact, i live by a few cops and i have asked them if it's illegal to lane split. they said "NO" but it's probably not smart to do so around here because of all the crazy drivers.

did the cop actually say it was illegal?

Old 04-02-2007, 08:42 PM

Is there a mandatory court date on the ticket? I got a reckless when I was 19 in my Subaru and there was no fine just a “court mandatory†circled. They sent me a letter later telling me when it was. I don’t know if careless driving is similar.

Lane Splitting
316.209 Operating motorcycles on roadways laned for traffic (2) The operator of a motorcycle shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken. (3) No person shall operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:45 PM

Yes, the police officer did say it was illegal. And, as to the Court Mandatory, no, it isn't checked. But, I've got that one before afew years back for street racing, in the Jeep that's in my sig.

Tylor

Old 04-02-2007, 09:36 PM

Doesnt matter if thet put the price or not. You have to contact the court.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 PM

That's kinda what I figured. Oh well. $60 gone.

Tylor

Old 04-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

wow sorry to hear it. are cops allowed to do it ? because i know here in cali its legal and even the bike cops do it

Old 04-03-2007, 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: D2MEclipseGT_600RR

Doesnt matter if thet put the price or not. You have to contact the court.
Totally! Here in Colorado they stopped putting the fines on the tickets, andthey make you call there special line 5-10 days after it was issued to find out how much the fine will be [:'(]. I think they do that so they don't get cursed out for the crazy amounts they charge!

Old 04-03-2007, 08:22 AM

yes lane splitting is illegal in FL. the only state it is legal in is CA

[/align]
[blockquote]

[/align][/blockquote]

Old 04-03-2007, 09:21 AM

i dont think that the cops up here in jacksonville even worry about it...the bike groups around here have massive meets/rides and i have hung around with a few, and the cops dont even bother them....

Quick Reply: Lane splitting Illegal in Florida