Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Keeping the bike in a open parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeping the bike in a open parking lot

I go back to school on the 2nd and I am looking for some tips to keep my bike secure while parked on campus. I have a jeep as well so I was plannin on parkin the bike between the jeep and a curb or something. and getting some sort of disc lock and chain or something...

Any one have tips or products I should look into?

Old 12-26-2006, 06:15 PM
Default RE: Keeping the bike in a open parking lot

Bolted down to the ground with 2 inch thick chain. 24 hour survalence camera. yup or take it inside somewhere.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:35 PM

A disc lock may work for the time being. The only true way to secure you bike is to lock it in a garage, shed, or something of that nature. Hope that helps.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:38 PM

bolts in the ground are out of the question since i dont own the parking lot, and dont have one spot just for me.

Shed or garage wont happen either until possibly next year (if I can afford a house). Also during the summer it will be parked in my condo parking lot, so I am still afraid its going to get jacked.

I heard of the kyrponite locks but not sure how I would use one?

Old 12-26-2006, 09:17 PM

Stopped by the bike shop today to get winter riding gloves and I was talking with the guy there about my bike during school. He reccomend low-jack and I think that is an awesome idea and worth the money!

Not only do I help myself with my bike, iwill be helping other honest riders! If they steal my bike, police catch em and then if they have other bikes then people can get em back! Not to mention they will no longer be stealin bikes!

Old 12-26-2006, 09:33 PM

yeah the low jack would work but my cocern about bringing my bike to school would be drunks trying to sit on it and or knock it over...went to uconn with a buddy of mine and he got all four tires slashed by some drunk just cuz he had nice rims!!

Old 12-26-2006, 09:46 PM

I had my last bike parked right off the sidewalk at my college apt complex right outside my place. Nobody could jack it cause a truck wouldn't fit, and they couldn't start it cause I'd hear. So yeah... only prob I had was drunks at our parties.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:49 PM

Lo-jack is cool, but obviously you want to prevent it being stolen if you can instead of recovering afterwards.

If it were me, I would use a disc lock, chain it to my Jeep (or something similar), and most importantly: Put a bike cover on it. They have covers that lock onto the bike as well. That would keep most casual people from just coming up and sitting on it. An open parking lot is tough to make something secure. Park next to the guard shack if you can.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:05 PM

A small storage unit at one of those storage sites if you got one local and theft insurance. My paranoia won't allow me to leave it on the street. Alone, in the dark, for some random douche to molest and rape her. O.K. maybe a little over dramatic but....... She's my little girl!I think $45 dollars a month and a diesel pad lock to me isdefinitly worth it to get a good nights sleep. I've had 2 cars and a bike stolen from me. MyRR at Walmart, aGSR from in front of my house, andmy SIfrom infront of my apartment. God I love N.Y.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:05 AM

Best cheap advice is to cover it. People usually wont mess with what they cant see. Ive had my bike in a student apartment parking lot for 2 years now and only security is a cover i bought for it. Never been knocked over and never been messed with.

Quick Reply: Keeping the bike in a open parking lot