Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

This is the job I'm going to school for

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This is the job I'm going to school for

ORIGINAL: nkettler

****! thats definately some good money. What is your major? I'm goin for mechanical engineering now...maybe i should switch. lol
Industrial Technology is my major with a concentration in drafting and design. I'm taking the Pipe Design class right now and going to go to Plant Design which is the second course after this one. We gota take a bunch of other crap too like I have a welding class where I have to weld and cut crap and a machining class where I get to work on lathes and drills

Old 10-02-2008, 11:55 PM

Nauree, I am from Sulphur,La. and move to Deweyville,Tx. when I was like 14. Anyways I am a I/E Designer and I love it, I work for an engineering firm in Beaumont,Tx. and that's where I live now. I went to Texas State Technical College in Waco,Tx. and got two degrees. I have a Instrumentation degree and a Electrical Control Systems degree. I started out last December at $28 an hour and in January I should be up to $34. I am just a Designer I but when I am a Designer IV I should be in the mid $50's. Now not knocking the Pippers I work with but they have to carry alot of tools and equipment to the field and they have to have their design with in a 32nd. I only have to put down +/- 20ft. to any thing I design. But on the other hand the Pippers we always be about $10 to $20 ahead of me, even when we are senior designers.I have some buddies I graduated with that work in Houston,Tx. and they are already up to $35 an hour and they are only 21 years old. Well it sounds like you might be pretty deep into and I don't think you will regret it. If you have any questions about the design field just let me know.

Where are you going to school at?

Old 10-03-2008, 01:38 AM

im a sophomore at University of Missouri Rolla, which is now called Missouri University of Science and technology. dont know why they changed the name.

ORIGINAL: volcomrr

nauree and nkettler, im a senior in civil engineering at NC State, what school do you guys go to?

Old 10-03-2008, 08:09 AM

So now here comes the thread jack;

What the hell does one major in to become a professional designer?!?!

I started college right after HS with the intensions of becoming a Mechanical Engineer, and have been working in Fire Apparatus since my youth apprentice during HS. Work with SolidWorks every day modeling and making production drawings and I don't mind it.

My overall goal is to work in the marine industry designing mid scale ships (or part of)...not planning the weak points and what gauge material I need with structural analysis, I just want to design and be innovative. I’m not concerned with industry placement as much as career placement and education direction.

As of this semester, I have finally acquired an associate degree in math and science! So next week I am going to an oreantation from UW Green Bay and UW Oshkosh in hopes of figuring a decent degree that I can achieve part time (industrial management, industrial design I don’t know!) So anyone in high management with a pinch of advise would be much appreciated!

Sorry to jack Nauree, looks like you pointed in the right direction and I imagine the south has many oil based production facility that have high use of piping and such. So it looks like your geared for the big show.