Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

to jet or not to jet

Old 10-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to jet or not to jet

ok why do you jet the carbs? and with what jets do you know to use? i know these are stupid questions but i just want to know because i just got a full exhaust witha k&n filter and i want to konw if i should jet the carbs and with what
93 cbr 900rr
thanks
JonBrown

Old 10-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Default RE: to jet or not to jet

ummmm....i would say a stage one should suffice(if even nessecary)...basically all "jetting" does is allows more "go juice" to get to the "fast maker" in the most laymen of terms....

all you really need to do is take your bike to the shop and have it dyno tuned for your new pipe...k&n advertises that their filters give you more power? i personally dont buy it, sure maybe the day you install it because youre going from an older, dirty filter to a new free flowing one....but guys, air is air...the main and only real advantage to a k&n is that you can wash it a bajillion times instead of buying a new one....im totally not sold on em as a "performance' mod....

Old 10-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whenever you go from stock filter and exhaust, to aftermarket, the motor can flow more air. More air means that the fuel mixture as set up in stock form is going to be too lean, as in not enough fuel for the amount of air the motor can flow now. In order to correct the mixture, the jet kit comes into play. You should be able to buy a jet kit that will get it set up close to correct without too much trouble, but in order to get the setting perfect, the best way is to have it put on a dyno and have it tuned. most decent jet kits will get you pretty close though.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:30 AM

K&N filters are better, but only if you tune your bike for it. If you just switched filters and did nothing else at best your bike will perform the same, and worst your bike will run lean and make less power.

As far as jetting goes... get fuel injection. hahaha j/k

If you don't have the option of getting a fuel injected bike then definitly have a shop dynotune your bike so that they use the right jetting. I can't wait to get a fuel injected bike just because of how easy it makes it to tune. I love my F3 and if there was a way to have a fi F3 I'd get it, but I guess I'll just have to settle for some uncomfortable fi pos.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 PM

ok i am goin to jet it because i rode it today and it sputters in high rpm and runs hot so the jets are goin in tomorrow. also will i be getting more power from jetting alone or what?
how will it affect my mpg also?
thanks
JonBrown

Old 10-10-2007, 09:50 PM
RCR

ORIGINAL: meanstrk

Whenever you go from stock filter and exhaust, to aftermarket, the motor can flow more air. More air means that the fuel mixture as set up in stock form is going to be too lean, as in not enough fuel for the amount of air the motor can flow now. In order to correct the mixture, the jet kit comes into play. You should be able to buy a jet kit that will get it set up close to correct without too much trouble, but in order to get the setting perfect, the best way is to have it put on a dyno and have it tuned. most decent jet kits will get you pretty close though.
+1

Search this Thread