Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Jeremy Clarkson on car sales decline

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeremy Clarkson on car sales decline

Will motocycle sales go up or down?
That is. Will people turn to bikes as a better form of getting around, or will the sales of bikes go aouth with cars?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7766057.stm [/align]

Old 12-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jeremy Clarkson on car sales decline

If the gas prices continued to rise, then motorcycle sales might increase, but as it stands, with the financial recession that we are in, people are pulling in their purse strings, which means less traveling which equates to less gas usage meaning more supply than demand. As such the gas prices are steadily dropping. The issue is that people are in general living with what they have. Motorcycles are not practical for most people but they also don't have the money to buy a new car or at least don't want to add to the debt they already have during the current financial crises.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:52 PM

Motorcycles certainly arent practical unless you intend on changing how you do things. I dont see a lot of people turning to them cept maybe kids, but I don't know anyone who owns a motorcycle that doesnt also own 2-3 cars so.. we will see I guess.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:58 PM

Well during the summer rain or shine I will be on 2 wheels. The only time I will drive my durango is to go to the grocery store.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: compulady5

I can say that when I spoke to the local dealership here looking for a yob, they told me they were so slow they were laying people off. I don't know if that's the season or not, but I would assume th economy is at fault.

In the meantime, when gas prices were nuts, motorcycle and scooter sales went through the roof in Florida. Go figure.
Well that IS florida.. around here I dunno if theyd be as popular since the normal person wouldnt want to use one quite as year round.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:01 PM

considering how many good paying jobs are being lost, I'd say it will decline just like everything else. Its kind of hard to buy something when you dont have any money. If you do find a new job, its pretty safe bet it will be for a lot less money.

Those people that are turning towards motorcycles for cheaper transportation are not buying a new 10,000 dollar bike. Their buyingused bikes. If you have to look towards motorcylces to save money, then you dont have much money and used it is the only alternative.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:03 PM

I would never own just a bike, ever. Then again I can't see being without a bike so....

Old 12-06-2008, 07:51 PM

Interesting, I can remember when Sydney was full of all types interesting variations based on motorcycles, Harley trikes in various forms, lots of bikes with side cars & little Lambrettas & Vespas with small cabins & cargo trays. (some of these variations are happening in Asian countries with 6 or more family hanging off the 1 bike)
Some Italian & Asian manufacturers are making 3 wheeled (2 at the front 1 at the back) wot nots now. So enter the wheeled cars (yes they have been around before in 50's & 60's).
A few years back here, they had car racing with fiberglass bodies (any style you liked) kitted over motorcycle engine powered cars, so I reckon we are going to some interesting stuff.