Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Internet purchase taxation

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 10:52 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy Internet purchase taxation

SoCal & the USA....I went to the market the other day & someone came up to me asking me to sign some papers to reject Internet sales tax? What's going on, is our government trying to tax us for buying items online??? Wow...search & buy online is THE only way you can save money...now a days...eBay, Amazon, etc... Now our State Government trying to tax us....I really hope they don't pass this into law...

Just want to hear my fellow CBR owners have any say in this...

Old 09-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sucks but the State needs the money. we need people in office who know how to spend it and not waste 4 Million $$$ on "earthquake predictions" ...Really!!??!?!

Old 09-24-2011, 11:53 PM

heard about this at a store meeting (HomeDepot) last week discussing internet competition. I thought it was already a done deal in Califorication with many states looking to follow...

Old 09-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, talking about it here. Being pushed by the bigger stores that are losing out on their profit margins. Aussie dollar is (or was) pretty strong, so buying stuff O/S, even with postage was much cheaper. We already have a tax on items over $1000, (don't wanna kill Ebay). What gets me is that the stores are buying their goods from the same sources (but cheaper) pile on their profit & then have ***** to complain when people go elsewhere because its cheaper. So much for a free market.
A few of the companies have tried to compete with internet shopping & cutting some of their mark up. To see & hear some bloody Billionaire (& you S'tralians know who) doing a dummy spit on TV & radio about it, wanting the tax threshold lowered.....

Old 09-25-2011, 01:33 AM

if that dose go into effect. you are going to have to add your tax i.d # or s.s # to your online payment acount( paypal,amazon ) so they can keep track on what your buying. i red this article the other day about prostitutes paying a income tax

Old 09-25-2011, 02:10 AM

from a political standpoint, implementing such a large scale tax would be suicide. It's not going to happen because if it does, netizens will rise up and cause a riot. but then again if $$$ is pushing the agenda, I am sure politicians will try to push for it sooner or later. but mark my words there is going to be gigantic public backlash if something like this happens.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard this Internet sales tax thing being talked about for a few years now. I suppose the tax-free loophole will eventually be corrected by money-grabbing merchants who probably will keep much of that extra money. I already have to pay sales tax on Internet purchases if the online site has a retail location in the same state I'm having the item shipped to.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:57 PM
MZ5

The appropriate thing to to tax purchases online just like offline. It's absurd and stupid to leave that loophole open. The ONLY thing it does is compromise local businesses in all states that have sales taxes, because they're automatically undercut on price by all online vendors.

Did you know that you may already be required to pay sales tax on your internet purchases, but that your state just doesn't try to enforce it? Check your state's tax code; some even ask you on your state income tax form to report and pay sales tax on what you bought online.

Personally, I prefer a national sales tax to an income tax. Income tax means you work for the gov't, and arguing about tax rates is only arguing about how much of the money you make they should let you keep. That's just not right. A nat'l sales tax (ONLY in COMPLETE REPLACEMENT of an income tax) eliminates that, eliminates the ridiculous fighting about tax rates for different income levels (richer people buy more stuff, there's no denying, so they'd pay more tax), and ends the fact that at present we all work for the gov't, and they just let us keep a portion of what we make them.