Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

An interesting battle.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: An interesting battle.

When i was a teenager i always was into bikes and really wanted one, but much like the same responces from others "not whlie your under my roof" speech, moms never budged. I am 24(25 in august yay insurance drop!) and just receantly got an 04 rr and my mom's only responce was I'll have to pray a little more. So i guess what im tryin to say is that your folks might never be into it or really like the idea, but if its something that you truly want to do and sounds like your taking the right steps msf/gear/etc. You may get them to come around, but if not you are still the one who will make the final decision, just might have to wait till your out from that roof

Old 04-13-2006, 02:03 PM

I was in literally the exact same position..Mom said no way in hell while your living in my house i'll kick you out etc....was almost 18.....dad had been riding for since he was 15 he's in his 50's now....I had him sign for the MSF course, I paid for everything..I then bought a new 05 RR like 3 weeks before i was 18(dad's signature for Kick *** intrest he has top credit).The key was just being persistant. But my dad knows my maturity level and thats the only reason he signed off on it. For my brother (22) my dad would never sign off on him he want's a zx10R for his first bike ever and thinks you can jst snap the throttle back and race....IDIOT

Old 04-13-2006, 03:46 PM

My parents just had to deal with it. I'v told them i wanted to race formula one or moto gp since i was around 4 my mom said so when i showed up at the house with a new bike she said she knew it was comming. Bieng puerto rican i get this whole spanish mom guilt trip when i ever i leave. She tells me she gets sooo nervous when she knows im out riding, and she supposedly gets sick to her stomach LOL. But they just have to deal with it. Im 21 and and still live with mom and pop, pops disabled so i pay moms mortgage for the time bieng... Anyway good luck. But remember once your 18 they really cant say anything... If they dont want it under their roof park it outside and chain it up really good.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:43 PM

Sorry dude but basically until you move out you need to live by the rules set forth by your parents, Ya I know PITA, but whatca gonna do. Just keep working on them, they will eventually come around especially if you take a MSF course. Show them what the course teaches you, think you can get the book ahead of time. Basically you'll need to set your parents minds at ease that you will be an educated rider and you know what you are doing out on the road.

Old 04-13-2006, 04:44 PM

Or move out

Old 04-13-2006, 08:57 PM

Man i know how you feel. But if your dad got a bike then there is hope for you too. My uncle lost a leg in a motorcycle accident when i was little and from then on all my mom ever said was she would never let me own one. When i decided to buy one i told here i was buying one. no matter what, but i would like to have her blessing before hand. Also you might try throwing out there that there are less motorcycle crashes per year then car crashes, but the media like to draw speciel attention to bikes. Usually sport bikes. Around my area all the deadly accidents are usually on harleys anyway. Yeah motorcycles are dangerous, but so is alot of things. i drive a semi all day and i see way more ****ty drivers in cars then on bikes. I wouldn't sneak behind there back. I think if you start looking for apartments or bring home the papers about living in the dorms then they will get the picture that you aren't backing down. Also ask your dad why he owns a bike get him talking about riding. Hell i bought my first bike (rebel 250) just to learn on and the first person to ride it was my dad who was throwing a fit about me getting one. know he wants one. Or Ask your dad to go with you to the MSF training. Tell your mom that it will make him a better rider. You can get your dad to go by telling him that your pretty sure you want to ride and by going to the course you will be able to see if it's for you. thats all the advice i got. good luck

Old 04-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Retired Mod

wanna know how i did it? i was 16 and my mom was totally against me having a bike. and my dad wasn't too cracked on the idea either. so i bought a used dual-sport suzuki and convinced them both that it was for off-roading (i always had atv's) and the only reason for the street legal model was for the backroads between the areas of woods that i was approved to ride on. they bought it, i rode it everywhere, and they eventually accepted the fact that motorcycles were going to be a part of my life. my mom still hates it and i'm 25 now so don't expect her to ever totally give in. good luck.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:21 PM

wow thanks guys, its awesome to hear im not the only one who has been in this situation. Its kind of ironic though, my dad always used to tell me how he was a problem child and had a dirt bike behind his parents back when he was younger.

But ya i plan on doing a few things
1)ask my dad to take me on a few rides on his honda shadow (basically to "bond" with him and to keep letting him know im interested)
2)tomorrow me and my friend are gonna go down to a few places that sell bikes and im gonna make sure i tell my parents "im going to learn about safety" ect.
3)if they dont budge by the time im 18 ill sign myself up for the msf, get my permit, and get a bike. If they kick me out than ohhh well Im sure they will come around sooner or later, it doesnt make sense, if they are going to kick me out knowing that im going to have a bike and be riding, what would the difference be letting me live at home? absolutely none

thanks again guys.

Old 04-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand where they're coming from but my opinion is your dad's a hypocrite. Driving experience of 40 years means very little when transferring that knowledge to a bike. Cars and bikes are just too different to make car experience that meaningful. No matter how pissed you get, try to remember nobody on this planet loves ya like your mom. I'm almost 40 and my mom still hates that I have a bike -- we don't discuss it

Having been in your shoes I'll tell ya what I think -- hindsight is 20/20 ya know. If you're serious about college and doing well ... stick it out at home. College is tough enough as it is. Working full time to support yourself and going to school will burn you out at an early age. I moved out at 18, did the college with a full time job thang and I barely had money left over for beer. Not even close to having enough for a bike.

Good luck dude!

Old 04-13-2006, 11:20 PM

listen man it's their job to worry. that's never gonna change. i had it real bad because my brother almost died in a 4 wheeler accident at 14 so my mom is deathly afraid of bikes and 4 wheelers. when i told her i got one she had no choice but to accept it ( i'm 24 and married) she can't say much, she just said to be careful and wear a helmet. if you do get a bike, WEAR A HELMET i can't emphasize that enough. good luck

Quick Reply: An interesting battle.