Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The inevitable "First Time"

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The inevitable "First Time"

So it's been a sucky season for me so far. Tire kept me off the roads for a little, then there's been SO much rain. Anyway, i've had my girlfriend out on the bike a few times at least, which leads to one reason it's been sucky so far.

We went to blockbuster to pick up a movie and right when I parked, I yelled "SH**TTTTTT" she asks what and i say "i just parked slightly downhill" to which she seems perplexed. I proceed to explain it's near impossible to back a bike out on a slope. She says it's not that big of a deal so I say "well since you know so much, hop on and go ahead and try". Of course, being about 70 lbs lighter than me, she cant budge it. I'm standing there holding my helmet and my bag and thought she was gonna set it back on the kickstand....the bike starts leaning the other way. She can't hold it, and it falls along with her. Why didn't I stop it 1- no time 2- scratches are easier to deal with than replacing a helmet. She tries to pick it up and i just mover her out of the way, again explaining how she cant do it (nicely, in spite of how pissed i was). I see the kickstand is down and go to set it down, well the kickstand folds in and the bike drops on the other side. I was furious.

Anywho, things cooled down and i was never mad at her, that was last sunday. Yesterday (thursday) I'm pulling into my school parking lot on it (which leads to the title).

I wish I could draw it but I'll have to do it with words. The turn into the parking lot is in an inlet between an isle of parked cars, which immediately intersects a lane for navigating the lot, and goes straight into one of the isles for parking. As I'm turning, I see a car coming right at my next spot from the isle I would be facing, not at all on his side of the isle (no one at my school drives safely, just a bunch of punks trying to be cool even though they go to a community college). So my instinct reaction is brakes. Being that I was leaning, the bike lays down, and slides away from me. The douche in the car drives off after his turn (which had no signal btw, even better). I grabbed my bike and rolled it into a parking spot, THOROUGHLY pissed. Had to get my mom to pick me up in the truck which led to more adventure (she brought a 5 foot board as the ramp -_-)

So yeah guys, you were all right, if you haven't laid your bike down before, it WILL happen at some point. I just hope this is the only learning experience in that area i need being that I escaped with only 3 small rashes on my knee and like a real bad rug burn on my arm (I was wearing jeans and a hoodie, which both survived amazingly well, not even a scratch on the hoodie)

Old 04-17-2009, 08:31 PM

Mine was actually as i was the test to get my bike license, i was a way to inexperienced to be taking the test, but i wanted to ride so i figured how bad could it be.

Well not sure if it was the same for you but for my test you could get marked off up to 3 points and still pass, and a foot down is one point the first time and if you do it twice you would fail. So as I was weaving through the cones i put down my foot. Then i go into the right hand U-turn, and i am thinking in my head i can't put my foot down or else i fail, well i get about half way through the turn and i should have put the foot down because down the bike went.

Luckily all that happened was only one small scratch on the upper fairing. Needless to say i didn't pass the test, but that was my first and so far only time down *knock on wood*

Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 PM

mine was comming up to a stoplight in the rain at about 5-7mph and the car in the other lane decided he wanted into the lane i was in so he came over right in front of me. so i hit the brakes and the front wheel locked up and started to slide left so i let up on the brakes to straighten it up, but the car was too close and i had to brake again and it did the same thing and locked up and slid out left and i layed it dow. but like i said it was at low speeds so not much damage to the bike (broke nose fairing and gauge stay bracket, and scratched rightside mid and lower) and i escaped with nothing hurt at all. that was my first but probably wont be my last(especially with the way people drive here in colorado)

Old 04-17-2009, 08:51 PM

It scraped up my fairings pretty well, some of my friends said it's not very noticeable, but it looks horrific to me. Plus it bent my brake pedal all the way backward so it's under the foot peg.

That was the worst part of the whole ordeal though, watching and HEARING my bike slide away from me, I wanted to cry

Old 04-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a jacket dude lol. And sux about your bike, glad your ok n learned sumtin from it.