Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Which do you choose?
2013 Ducati Hypermotard, it's a Ducati bro!
42.86%
~05 DRZ400SM + ~07/08 CBR600RR, two is better than one!
57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Indecision is killing me...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indecision is killing me...

So, I know I've made like 5 threads on this stupid topic, and you're probably all getting tired of it, but I am such an indecisive idiot when it comes to things like this.

I've been thinking about my next bike. I'm looking at getting a 2013 Ducati Hypermotard, it would be a fun bike no doubt, I've test rode it twice, once on a base model with an exhaust and the other time on the strada (touring) version, probably did 40 miles on them combined and it was awesome, even without the exhaust it sounds mean.

Price is the issue, it's $14,000 and a Ducati ($$$ maintenance), oddly insurance is like $511.60 a year even though I'm 18...with a $250 deductible. Maybe the agent that quoted me was high, I dunno, but I'll take it!

Now the ENTIRE time people have been telling me, STOP, buy a used bike, blah blah blah, save your money, blah blah, and I've just been like "Nah, I like this Ducati" but I'm now thinking about that more and more...

The Ducati will cost $$$$$$$$ to modify in pretty much any way shape or form. The exhaust is about $3,000 + installation alone. Way out of my price range to get an exhaust for that bike, but then again it sounds sick stock.

So, I've been thinking, instead of dropping $15,000 on the Ducati...

Why not drop $7,000 on a used 600rr, and maybe $4,000 on a used DRZ400SM?

The hypermotard after all is just a supermoto that's for pretty much street only use. I could use the 600rr for that and the drz for offroading, and believe me, there are LOADs of trails near me.

I am a kid, so I could be blinded by my thoughts of "I COULD HAVE A DUCATI WHEN I'M 18 IF I WANTED, THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!"

I mean heck, I'm ahead of most kids my age with my 250...

Money aside, what would you do? Is a nice 600rr able to be found for $7,000?

C/N :
1. Do you choose a 2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP OR a used Suzuki DRZ400SM AND a used CBR600RR.
2. Can you find nice 600rrs for $7,000ish?

Links to bikes in my area:
http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/3768810259.html
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/3744368176.html

Not a huge fan of the orange paint, but I could always vinyl wrap it or something...

Last edited by That Guy in Maine; 05-04-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

dude! i thought you already had a deposit on the duc...

besides. the drz will run out of steam on the faster parts of the road. the 600rr will need to be on all paved roads. the duc can go slightly off road, and it can go fast as hell when you feel like a hooligan

learn to do some of your own maintenance to keep the costs down. you don't need to modify the bike at all... i mean, maybe an exhaust - but you don't need anything else modified of the bat.

grab the duc and go with it. your whole "it'll be cheaper to maintain, insure, etc" argument goes out the window when you think about maintaining 2 bikes, insuring 2 bikes, modifying 2 bikes, etc.

make a decision and go for it. you won't be upset with either one

Old 05-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to do off-roading and street riding, having a dedicated bike for each might be better than trying to find a 'do it all' bike, which doesn't do either all that well.

But you're an 18-year-old thinking about buying a $14,000 bike and then spending a few more grand to modify it? Respect. At your age I was lucky if I could scrape together a few dollars to buy lunch on my way between my job and class.