Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I'm one of the select few...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A crash sucks whether you're on a 85cc dirt bike or a $30K custom (o.k., maybe a little more suckiness on the custom ). After doing a little research I've found some stuff that surprised me a little, and other stuff that didn't.

Motorcycle Crash Statistics
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (http:www.nhtsa.dot.gov) has released a "Recent Trends in Fatal Motorcycle Crashes: An Update" dated June, 2006. This is the latest update on motorcycle statistics. Since May is the official Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, I have listed some interesting statistics from this report to encourage you to take safety precautions and ride safe.

-Motorcycle rider fatalities have increased for the seventh year in a row. Since 1997, fatalities have increased an alarming 89 percent, from 2,116 in 1997 to 4,008 in 2004. This increase relates in part due to a sustained 14 year increase in the purchase of motorcycles. The previous four years show combined registered motorcycle purchases at 1 million plus per year. Bottom line: More motorcycles on the road create more chances of accident occurence.

-Among all riders, motorcycle operators in the 20-29 age group had the largest percentage of fatal crashes even though this age group is purchasing fewer motorcycles than previous years. Speeding is one of the major contributors to fatalities in this age group. Bottom line: Is it inexperience, youthful exuberance and the need for speed, lack of proper training or a combination of the three that is causing the discrepancy?

-Motorcycle Industry Council findings show an increase in motorcycle purchases in the 40 and above age group. In the last 10 years, there has been an increase in rider fatalities in the 40 and above age group. Bottom line: More people in that age group with motorcycles on the road create more chances of accident occurence. The Council says the gap is narrowing between the 20-29 year old rider fatalities and the above 40 group fatalities.

-The largest percentage of fatal motorcycle crashes were by operators with a blood alcohol content of .08 and more. The percentage has decreased from the previous 10 years. Bottom line: Drinking and riding is decreasing, but drinking is still a large contributor in fatal motorcycle crashes. Don't drink and ride!

-72 percent of fatalties in operator age group 40-49 involved alcohol. I can't say it enough, Don't drink and ride!

-70 percent of all fatalities occur on undivided highways. This could be a lack of proper training in cornering, inattention, or excessive speed. Bottom Line: Polish your skills and Practice, Practice, Practice.
Some other stats I've found include:

women are a disproportionate amount of fatalities

component failure is responsible for <3% -- tire puncture making up half of that.

road surface is <2%

animals <1%

So the I crashed because I hit a pot hole while avoiding a rabbit just after my chain snapped is a rare occurrence indeed.

And not surprising, of all multiple vehicle crashes 67% are the cages fault and occur when a cage is turning left in front of a motorcycle. Still looking for a breakdown of classification of bikes. However, with over 55% of all bike crashes in the 20-29 year old range I'm not suspecting cruisers to account for 90%

Old 11-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Not surprising but interesting-"supersport" bikes tend to be the most dangerous. Compare their death rate of 22.5 deaths per 10,000 registered vehicles to the death rate of 5.7 per 10,000 for "standard" motorcycles and cruisers. That means if you ride a sport bike, just based on that fact alone you're 3.95 times as likely to die in an accident. Hmmm, wonder what the death rate is for scooter riders...
Again, lumps together most crotch rockets. Comes from the 2007 NHTSA stats. Those stats also show a dramatic increase in 40+ percentage of fatalities ... most single vehicle and 41% BAC over .08 ...

Old 11-26-2009, 01:50 PM

Yeah, apparently the 'mid-life crisis' has a tendency to transform into an 'end of life tragedy'. Tho I suspect that that's because of guys getting into motorcycles late in life with the same experience of an 18 yro and a different ego: "I've been driving 30-40 years so this is cake".

Still the < 500cc seem to have a lower fatality rate. Slower to accelerate to ludicrous speed, lower torque to kick the rear tire out from under you in a corner. They simply give more time to correct a mistake, whether through intention or blind luck, than the bigger bikes.

I also feel confidence plays a huge role too. Person is less likely to freeze completely when riding something they feel confident they can control. The bigger the bike, the more intimidating it is to any rider. At least it is to any sane, non-testosterone overdosing rider

Old 11-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Yeah, apparently the 'mid-life crisis' has a tendency to transform into an 'end of life tragedy'. Tho I suspect that that's because of guys getting into motorcycles late in life with the same experience of an 18 yro and a different ego: "I've been driving 30-40 years so this is cake".

Still the < 500cc seem to have a lower fatality rate. Slower to accelerate to ludicrous speed, lower torque to kick the rear tire out from under you in a corner. They simply give more time to correct a mistake, whether through intention or blind luck, than the bigger bikes.

I also feel confidence plays a huge role too. Person is less likely to freeze completely when riding something they feel confident they can control. The bigger the bike, the more intimidating it is to any rider. At least it is to any sane, non-testosterone overdosing rider
Ya, I agree ... and something that I completely forgot to include is about helmets. The average speed of a crash (from the 2006 stats) was 28mph ... over 86mph was less than 1 in 1000. Maybe a helmet will only keep yer face purty at 86mph but it can easily save your life at 30mph ... or at least keep you from drooling on yourself for the next 30years while your wife/mom/caregiver wipes your a$$

Old 11-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Elfling
God, you suck The MSF was 225 down here. Advanced Rider Course is less expensive but still 75.
Seriously.

That said, best $225 I've spent on riding next to my lid.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow how this one get by me lol.

One thing I will agree with is the topics title, one of the few!!!! Good job n hope you continued luck, but if you'd started smaller, you'd be a better rider, quicker

stats are hard to go by if the date etc isnt included. Bike sales have grown majorly the past year or so alone, so of course there will be more noob crashes.

As much as I hate control n limitation, I really think the US needs the tiered license n bike thing. Not only would it keeps inexperienced riders off bikes they have business on, it makes it so ppl have to learn to ride b4 getting a bike that can get them into trouble faster...