Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

i thought they just prayed for rain in ga

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i thought they just prayed for rain in ga

http://news.yahoo.com/s/wcom/2007112...s_plague_south
what the hell, this is the first real rain we've seen in a while

Old 11-26-2007, 12:53 AM
Default RE: i thought they just prayed for rain in ga

ORIGINAL: mpbigham

http://news.yahoo.com/s/wcom/2007112...s_plague_south
what the hell, this is the first real rain we've seen in a while
Too much, too fast, especially after drought, is a bad thing.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:21 AM

Have you ever soaked up water with a damp sponge. Then try the same thing with a completely dry sponge. Same kind of deal. The rain will eventually find its way into the ground, but not after causing severe flash floods and a lot of damage.

This is at least true for so cal. also rains are going to be falling on ground that is damaged by fire this year so we are looking foreward to a lot of flooding and land slides.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 AM

all that damn rain ruined the last track day of the season for me! ahhhhhhhhh!!. If only I had some rain-x....

Old 11-26-2007, 04:07 PM

i live right beside a man made lake that is still pretty full, i guess we haven't caught the brunt of it.
all it is here is just enough drizzle to make the roads slick.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

answered prayers, but yea a bit to much all at once ainr good. But it has been running on n off for a few days now, so maybe it wont be too bad.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Retired Moderator

Geez. First it's "It's so dry, we need rain, our lakes are gone!" then rain comes and you guys are like "Oh, no it's too much rain now we're flooding!"

Kidding by the way.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:51 AM

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

Huge downpours aren't actually a problem for Georgia. All of our mountains are full of trees to hold the soil. Since we have no man made lakes our land is naturally designed to drain. Where there aren't trees we have grass, kudzu or granite. What doesn't get soaked up goes straight to the rivers. For example.
Here is an easy river my buddy's and I like to kayak when we want to kick back and drink some beers while going down the river...

(No that's not me)
Here's the River after a Hurricane...

as you can see it all goes straight to the river which is what we need.

Really the only parts that get screwed up is North Atlanta becuase of the crap sewer systems and that part that they'll never get fixed. So during a big rain those areas flood but that's about it.

Either way I'm not affected by the drought. Our county reseviors are full so we have no worries.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Asmittie84

ORIGINAL: sixhundredrr

Huge downpours aren't actually a problem for Georgia. All of our mountains are full of trees to hold the soil. Since we have no man made lakes our land is naturally designed to drain. Where there aren't trees we have grass, kudzu or granite. What doesn't get soaked up goes straight to the rivers. For example.
Here is an easy river my buddy's and I like to kayak when we want to kick back and drink some beers while going down the river...

(No that's not me)
Here's the River after a Hurricane...

as you can see it all goes straight to the river which is what we need.

Really the only parts that get screwed up is North Atlanta becuase of the crap sewer systems and that part that they'll never get fixed. So during a big rain those areas flood but that's about it.

Either way I'm not affected by the drought. Our county reseviors are full so we have no worries.
Carters Lake up here in North GA is man made as most of the ones GA lol(google it). Tho you are partly right a over abundance of rain doesnt affect us like it does in other parts of the country. And up my way it really hasnt came down to hard or fast IMO but wtf do I know lol.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 AM

Crap. I meant to say we have no Natural lakes. I was working on about two hours of sleep with that one. I have insomnia and find it hard to sleep. So I get all weird when it gets really late and I do get tired. (Right now I'm working off of 4hours but a job cancelled for today so I'm going to try to sleep).

However no matter how much rain we get. We don't get the Mudslides of California nor the massive flooding of the Mississippi Delta. Georgia is actually pretty lucky when it comes to mother nature. We don't normally get Tornados of any size, and we can't have earthquakes which is why the CDC built here. And even when we do have one every 1000 years it's not a big one. Georgia has never suffered a direct hit from a Hurricane and our inlands are also protected by the Georgia Barrier Islands. Heck we got it pretty good here in Georgia.