Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I just shake my head and wonder...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just shake my head and wonder...

So its been beautiful here these past few days and although I dont really care what one does while riding their motorcycle it just makes me wonder. I have seen at least a dozen sportbike riders like ourselves riding on the highway all macked out with their machines and esp. their gear. But where is the expensive helmet? Latched the back seat of their bike. I guess they think that when your doin 80 down the highway their sunglasses provide much more protection. Must be the "cool" factor. Although yes I will admit I have gone riding without my helmet...around the block or up to the store just a few blocks, BUT never on the highway. I know most accidents happen close to home. Call me a hippocrit or whatever. I just think that if you have the helmet with, why not wear it? It doenst make your bike and prettier!

Old 04-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: I just shake my head and wonder...

I feel bad for riding my bike from one end of the driveway to park it without a helmet...

Old 04-15-2006, 09:07 PM

I wrecked doin a wheelie at 70mph with no gear on. I learned my lesson and I never leave on the bike without my helmet and jacket on atleast.

They will learn their lesson when they hit the ground

Old 04-15-2006, 10:52 PM

i see that quite a bit too. i don't get it either. shute if you're not going to wear the helmet give it to me. i like collecting 'em

Old 04-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Retired Mod

i live in a state without a mandatory helmet law but i still wear my helmet 99% of the time. only time i don't is when i'm doing maintenance on the bike and take it around the block to make sure everything is alright and listen for noises. most riders around here without lids are harleys and posers and i really don't care for either type.

and since we're on the subject of gear, how many people see someone actually wear a helmet. but with a tank top, shorts, and sandels. i always think "why even bother with the helmet?"

Old 04-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Retired Administrator

I have this argument with my brother about once a month. I love his counter-arguments.

1. The heavy helmet will break my neck
2. You cannot hear anything around you.
3. You cannot see anything around you

I'm having a brain fart... I know he has a list of them. Post some of the stupid reasons not to wear a helmet that you guys hear. In Ohio, helmets are optional. All that means to me is higher insurance.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: doncollins

I have this argument with my brother about once a month. I love his counter-arguments.

1. The heavy helmet will break my neck
2. You cannot hear anything around you.
3. You cannot see anything around you

I'm having a brain fart... I know he has a list of them. Post some of the stupid reasons not to wear a helmet that you guys hear. In Ohio, helmets are optional. All that means to me is higher insurance.

1. the reflection in the shield blocks my vision.
2. the shield glares up with headlights.
3. i can see and hear better without it on.
4. if it was necessary, it would be a law.
5. you don't have to wear a helmet in a car.
6. that guy (points to someone else) isn't wearing one.
7. it's only mandatory with a learner's permit, and i'm not a beginner.
8. i don't plan on wrecking today.
9. i'm only running errands not riding hard.
10. it's too hot.
11. i don't want helmet hair.
12. i have no where to put it at ______. (fill in black with wherever going)
13. it's a pain in the *** to clean the bugs off.
14. don't know where it is.
15. doesn't match my bike/gear.
16. never owned one.
17. harder to pick up chicks when they can't hear you talking.

these are the excuses that i can remember hearing. some are funny, all are dumb.

Old 04-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

seems like this topic arises from time to time. reminds me of a a saying: "be chary of giving advice; wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it."

lids are optional in my state also, but i would never consider going for a ride without a helmet. the one or two times i've done it are like has been said; moving the bike in the driveway or listening for sounds around the block. heck, i bought a helmet several weeks before i bought a bike.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:37 AM

I have seen many people riding with out a helmet. Most are locked to the side of the bike, which causes me to question what part of the bike they are trying to protect with it locked on there. Of course they have to match the bike's color scheme or it will get left at home. Not the brightest people in my book!

Old 04-17-2006, 11:43 AM

I never ride without my helmet, plus that's my excuse to not have to give rides, no helmet no ride. Plus I like the feeling of people not knowing who you are, so you can stare in cars, or whatever.. like a superhero..

Quick Reply: I just shake my head and wonder...