Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I hate R/R's

Old 07-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate R/R's

Well, in my month or two absence, I received my new R/R, which got put on and all was well in the world, i was back on the bike, happy and carefree as a bird. I rode over 1k miles in that time and bike ran flawlessly....that is until 2 days ago. So here I am, on my way up North, when all of a sudden, 10 miles from the good ole homestead.......it quits.....have all my lights but no ignition. So i think to myself.....it can't be the R/R, i just replaced it. The part would say otherwise. I make it home with the bike in the back and unload, take off the R/R and low and behold! the back is falling out of it! I learned my lesson however, never ever buy an electrical component from Amazon. I should have known that but being 18 and antsy and wanting to ride I found the best I could with minimal wait ...... Anyways, i email the company and they offered to send me a new one but should i trust it? Who knows, probably not......Oh yeah, also got a new helmet too, AGV K3 Gothic Black Rossi Edition

Old 07-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ya, i'd trust it to give this company another go. but if this one breaks on you - after that id just ask for a refund. they are simple components to make - which means they're made in bulk and there's bound to be some bad ones that get through quality control. it's your quickest and easiest option.

but like i said, if this one breaks - ask for a refund, and go for an OEM one - possibly from a different bike. all R/R's do the same thing. if i were in your shoes - or if i ever have one go out on me - i'm going to try one from a sport tourer that has to run more equipment. (think FJR1300 or something)

my thinking would be that an R/R from a bike that has to run sat nav, more complicated systems (like an ECU that runs different maps, TC, etc), has power outlets to run heated vests, has more lights, has a better, bigger, heavier duty R/R to handle the load from a bigger stator because those bikes have bigger power demands. so it wouldn't have to work as hard on a sportbike like yours or mine. your stator isn't going to put out as much current as one from those bikes to the R/R, thus it doesn't work as hard as your smaller one is.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Here I was all excited thinking we were gonna talk about how much we dislike the ruff rider group. Sad face.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:57 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Well if your next one burns up again and you can get the refund you can always save up for a mosfet r/r . But they are pricy and take some wiring up too.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

spend the money and get the revised Honda one.. its finned and works better.. get a replacement from the company and keep it as a 'just in case Im stuck on the side of the road again" spare.... you never know.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
spend the money and get the revised Honda one.. its finned and works better.. get a replacement from the company and keep it as a 'just in case Im stuck on the side of the road again" spare.... you never know.
I agree. The old style R/R is unreliable.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The back end is falling out". What exactly do you mean by this?