Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

so I picked up another new hobby where I ignore personal risk... called "smoking."

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so I picked up another new hobby where I ignore personal risk... called "smoking."

The first thing I need to disclose is, "I'm not a smoker."

I used to smoke the odd cigarette, but I would roll my own from some of that fine Drum. I only smoked while taking a break from the two-wheeled activity. When I gave up riding 13 years ago, I gave up the smoking. I can't get addicted to it because I find it disgusting in any quantity greater than two cigarettes a day.

So I'm under terrific stress right now - my profs at school just summarily set my written comprehensive examination for the Masters' degree with only 3 weeks notice. My student-teaching experience is beginning to suffer from my inattention due to the extra study time I'm putting in and the ****ty lesson preparation (poor kids!). I'm also teaching 3 night classes a week up in Greeley, with all the lengthy travel time involved there.

So I bought a bag of Danish tobacco and some rolling papers, fully expecting to roll, fire, puff, wheeze and get that ashtray taste... and toss the $12 bag into the ****ter.

But I was WRONG. It's mellow, and flavorful, and warm. It gives me a bit of a buzz for 5 minutes. I don't feel too gross after smoking one; I feel like kind of a hipster/hooligan (if there was a meter for how catastrophically uncool I am, it would be pegged, with smoke billowing forth).

I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me later.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought this thread was going to be about smoking meat, barbecuing and such.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Registered Users

Man... don't pick up that nasty habit. I've been smoking for 8 years next month and if there was one thing that I wish I could get myself to stop, it would be smoking. Better and less smelly/harmful ways to get rid of stress.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 AM

you should pick up chewing tobacco while your at it. wayy better buzz. save the lungs beat the gums!

Old 04-26-2013, 04:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quit now while you can. Your lungs and throat will appreciate it.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cam and corona
you should pick up chewing tobacco while your at it. wayy better buzz. save the lungs beat the gums!
damn, if there is one thing i miss, it's dippin'. and you're so right on about the buzz. my 280lb roommate in college fell over onto the ground with one small lil pinch in. i used to pack a horseshoe after lax practice and i would get numb. it really ****ed up my gums though

and i have to be honest, a bunch of guys and i used to go camping and stuff, and chewing tabbacco (not dip) just felt manly.... there isn't as much buzz with it, but the taste is way better and you can use it for a lot longer. a good ole bag of levi garret would last the whole weekend

Old 04-26-2013, 10:40 AM

He's looking for support not for you guys to reminisce the days you used to be hooked... -1 to Cam and corona & Conrice

Stay strong man and remove yourself from your book for a while... Go out for a 10 min ride even if its up and down the street... Im over 10 years smoking and started when I was 12... I work in customer service on the phone so all I deal with all day is people yelling and screaming at me... My chick is having same issues with her Masters so I understand... Go for a ride, chew gum, or grab a beer but don't smoke... Once you get to the point you need 1 your F'd and the longer you wate to stop the worse the cravings get when you try to stop

Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014

Thanks, team!

Well, I guess the bloom is off the rose now. A couple of days of that nonsense and I got tired of the disgusting smell on my hands and the ruined taste buds.

I could never get totally used to smoking anyway, because it's such a stink-fest.

On a funny note, I got pulled over last night by a very nice young state trooper who voiced some mild concern for my velocity. He gave me a warning and turned me loose.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by FOGeologist
Thanks, team!

Well, I guess the bloom is off the rose now. A couple of days of that nonsense and I got tired of the disgusting smell on my hands and the ruined taste buds.

I could never get totally used to smoking anyway, because it's such a stink-fest.

On a funny note, I got pulled over last night by a very nice young state trooper who voiced some mild concern for my velocity. He gave me a warning and turned me loose.
Good for you man. That was a sign! lol. Don't touch that crap... (I type this as I'm sitting on my balcony with a corona and a Camel in my hand). Oh well... I'll stop some day

Old 04-29-2013, 01:09 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've smoked all my adult life.
Disgusting dirty habit - wish I could stop but every time I try I eat everything in the house and pick up 10Kg in weight - then start again to lose it all.

Figure out the cost over a year of a pack a day habit and see how many aftermarket parts you can buy for your bike for the money....................
Stay off it brother.

Quick Reply: so I picked up another new hobby where I ignore personal risk... called "smoking."