Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

I hate craigslist.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate craigslist.

I don't even feel comfortable giving my number out to some one who want's to come see my bike in person! All the "will you take $3200" and "since when does the wind blow 50 mph in edison" responds has me wanting to keep the bike for ever just so I don't have to deal with these people!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 PM

everybody scopes craigslist trying to find a steal or a deal
you have to take the good with the bad
just don't meet anybody at home bc you could wake up the next morning and be bikeless
link to your ad?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 PM

and always screen calls. if its important to them they will leave a message. call back if you choose.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:15 AM

I hear ya. I've never had good luck with craiglist selling, or even trying to buy. It seems who ever places their ads, won't return calls or emails.

My situation was when I was trying to sell my bike a year ago. A guy called, we talked about it, I was asking 7000 for it, he agreed and came over. He looked over the bike, then said, " well, a buddy of mine just called me and said one just like this one sold for 3000 with less miles, so I'll offer ya 3200.. The guy pissed me off so bad. I cancelled plans to wait for this douchebag and he comes with an offer like this? I basically told him to pack it and go buy some other bike if he thinks he can get one that cheap. later on that night, I get a message, will you take 4000? then the next day, how about 5000? then finally a week later, I get " ok, I'll give 7000 for it, let me know when you want to make the deal. I told him to forget it. At that point, I didnt want this douchebag having it. there was other douchebag things he did, but those were the ones that really pissed me off.

oh, and I did end up keeping it and it is now paid off. So things worked out good in the end

Old 06-26-2009, 09:17 AM

Yeah i just ended up taking it down. I owe about 3000 on it but I was going to pay almost all of it off this summer but I had an unexpected 1500 bill for a car repair so now all my money this summer is going towards the car repair..

The best thing was my ad was right over a 2003 600rr with 1000 less miles on it then me, It was in terrible shape, rattle canned black and it was listed at the same price as mine. You would think people would see that, and then see what they were going to get with my bike and think the price was right.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 AM

I have one of those drug dealer phones from 7-11 I use for posting on craiglist. It's untraceable, and if someone starts harrassing you, you just change the number.

But, yeah, you get about a 3:1 stupid-to-legit response ratio. The upside is I get responses same-day, and I almost always sell whatever it is by the end of the weekend. The trick is to list highwith OBO, as they WILL give you a lowball offer. The high list with OBO forces their lowball to actually be higher than normal. I usually use a 25% increase in asking price, as a rule. Then when they talk you down they think they scammed you, and everyone's happy.

Also: CASH ONLY. Don't even accept money orders. Here's the disclaimer I put in all my ads:

"CASH ONLY. I will NOT accept any other form of payment, including PayPal. TEXT (phone#) with your offer. I will NOT answer calls to this number. I will text you a response within 12 hours. PICKUP ONLY. Any communication that requests a change in ANY of these terms will be ignored. NIGERIAN PRINCES need not apply."

Feel free to use it. Just rememebr to actually ignore all the bunk stuff. People like that will screw with you forever, otherwise.

No offense to any actual Princes of Nigeria out there.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 AM
December 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
here's the disclaimer i put in all my ads:

"cash only. I will not accept any other form of payment, including paypal. Text (phone#) with your offer. I will not answer calls to this number. I will text you a response within 12 hours. Pickup only. Any communication that requests a change in any of these terms will be ignored. Nigerian princes need not apply."
i love this!!!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 11:26 AM

What's truly bizarre is that it actually does work. Once I started using it, it really cut down on the bull****. I guess people actually do read disclaimers.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:11 PM

i got my bike on craigslist. i bought it the same day the guy posted it. some are good but a lot are bad...just watch out...and always...cash or even trades! lol!

i made a lot of money buying and selling off craigslist...enough money to buy me my bike and gear...

Old 06-26-2009, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by bamer02
i made a lot of money buying and selling off craigslist...enough money to buy me my bike and gear...
I did the EXACT same thing on eBay by garbage picking. My bike, gear, repairs and upgrades didn't take a single cent from my paychecks. I even had enough left over to donate 10% to One Laptop per Child.

Quick Reply: I hate craigslist.