Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Hubble: The most amazing space photographs in the universe

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hubble: The most amazing space photographs in the universe

The fact that's it's pretty infinite is mind boggling. If it's not, then what's beyond that? Nothingness?
Thats so crazy to think about.. Like what else could possibly be out there.. we have no idea.. Nothingness?? Possibly I dont know.. Is it possible for nothingness to exist.. I wonder what the hell is out there.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned

The Hubble reminds me of those moon missions, alot of money for little in return. With that said, they are very pretty pictures.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:09 PM

i love pictures like this!! I just wish it were possible to explore all these galaxies, nubuli....

someday...someday

Old 12-11-2008, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: cbrsix

The fact that's it's pretty infinite is mind boggling. If it's not, then what's beyond that? Nothingness?
Thats so crazy to think about.. Like what else could possibly be out there.. we have no idea.. Nothingness?? Possibly I dont know.. Is it possible for nothingness to exist.. I wonder what the hell is out there.
well yea, space pretty much is nothingness...hence the name. planets and celestial bodies are just masses in a space

also if you think about when looking across the room you're looking into the past....just not very long[8D].

this is my favorite space pic, not the most glamorous but the most significant to me at least:

It's a picture of earth taken "only" some 4 billion miles away by the voyager 1 probe. Just imagine, that's still in our solar system that's only an nth of the total occupancy of the galaxy...1 galaxy among what the hubble telescope estimated as 125 billion...still a number way too far out of comprehension.
By all logical sense....there is life elsewhere...kinda like give an infinite amount of monkey with an infinite amount of type writers and time and they'll produce shakespeare's work at some point.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: compulady5

My bike floating in space

Old 12-11-2008, 03:47 PM

- Money is only a earth-born, man-made object. It means nothing in the Universe. The Hubble telescope is priceless in that these images are visible for us, the public now. These are probably the older ones too, I wonder what the NASA guys are seeing and what they aren't showing us.

- TK, that's a funny post man.

- Cat, I was reading or heard somewhere that scientists now think that if you started in a spaceship going in one direction, and just kept going, for light years and light years, that eventually you would end up back at earth. Think about that at night, lol.

When I'm not watching baseball, football or NCAA hoops, I usually only watch the awesome HD channels like History, Discovery, and the many others I can't think of right now ... there is so much cool stuff on those channels... space, engineering, animals and nature (the insect shows in HD fascinate me)

Old 12-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice find, J !
The distances are mind boggling, especially when you consider that you're looking at some systems as they were 28 million years ago...........at light speed !!........

Old 12-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, an excuse to post this gif!
Name:  Comparisons.gif
Views: 12
Size:  1.22 MB

Old 12-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jfunkRR

- Cat, I was reading or heard somewhere that scientists now think that if you started in a spaceship going in one direction, and just kept going, for light years and light years, that eventually you would end up back at earth. Think about that at night, lol.

When I'm not watching baseball, football or NCAA hoops, I usually only watch the awesome HD channels like History, Discovery, and the many others I can't think of right now ... there is so much cool stuff on those channels... space, engineering, animals and nature (the insect shows in HD fascinate me)
one thats pretty crazy, it'll definitely keep me up at night!

two, throw in animal planets "the most extreme", and ill say me and you will have to hang out sometime [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-11-2008, 04:32 PM

so the guys who made the game asteroids knew what they were doing

Quick Reply: Hubble: The most amazing space photographs in the universe