Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How Not To Get Pulled Over

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Not To Get Pulled Over

I've heard through rumor that cops will generally not pull you over if you are speeding over about 100 mph. Not that I'm recommending this, condoning it or even suggesting it, but I simply wanted to start some conversation. The argurmen goes: If a cop is on the side of the road and you fly by at about 100mph by the time he gets turned into traffic and accellerates, you (assuming you haven't crashed) are already several miles ahead of him. Obviously he calls on the radio but hopefully you've pulled off and are driving at a normal pace. Anyone ever heard this? Anyone been caught doing +100mph by a cop that chased you down?

My story: I was pulled over after doing about 95 because the highway I was on narrows and has some lights on it. I was literally sitting at the red light when I heard a cop siren and I thought to myself "someone is really F'd" then he pulled in front of me and told me to turn off my bike. Damn damn damn I thought to myself. He thought I was running from him, I told him I didn't even see him and that I respected cops enough not to run. We made up and he presented me with a paper gift (ticket). But I got to reflecting (tickets have a way of doing that)... and ran this by some of my friends who all told me of this 100 mph rule. Thoughts anyone...?

Old 09-28-2005, 01:29 AM
Muz
Default RE: How Not To Get Pulled Over

I think it would depend on the situation. I cant see a cop doing 100+ down a busy highway to chase you down probably just radio you in for someone else. If you were on a quiet highway I reckon he would rip up his handbrake do a 180 and smoke the wheels to try and catch you, they love bustin a speeding biker. Just my opinion

Old 09-28-2005, 02:04 AM

Well, I think that the only way that would become a possibility would be if the cop was on the opposite side of the road and it would be a pretty good hassle for him to turnaround, like you said. Assuming he has any chance to catch up to you, I think he would do it. Just my opinion though. About 7 years ago, I got popped doing 110 mph on the freeway in my car (I was much younger and more stupid). Like you, what I didn't see behind me (through my own fault of course) was the cop in my rearview mirror, pacing me for what he said was about 1/4 mile. Now, if you don't understand what pacing is, it's basically the the cop driving a fixed distance behind you, meaning he is going approx. the same speed as you. By the time I saw him, I was on the offramp and going about 80 mph. Of course, I tried to defend myself in court saying I know I was only going 80 mph. The outcome...that's right...I had no chance. So, in my opinion, for whatever its worth, those who tell the story are still riding that wave of luck. Curioius as to what everyone else has to say though.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:19 AM

Interesting topic to bring up. Last night I was out riding with 4 buddies of mine, we were in a mall parking lot waiting for a bunch of other guys to show up so we could all go crusin around. A city cop pulled up to us and just asked what we were up to. We explained the situation and he started to shoot the **** with us. He was askin us how crazy we got on our bikes, etc. One of buddies asked him the exact same question, about the 100mph. He told us that city policy states not to chase any biker doing 25+ the speed limit, it's just too unsafe, not worth it, and he told us their interceptor's wouldn't have a chance of catching us. However, he did say that the state police and outlying county cops will chase us until we fall off. So i guess it all depends on the policy of the county/city you are in at the time.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:21 PM

My friend got caught goin 140 in a 60, and he stopped and pulled over...it was out on a old freeway thats hardly traveled anymore. the cop asked why he stopped and he said he wasnt going to run, and was just having a little fun since no one was around. the freeway is where alot of shops are (garage mahall & stuntlife.com) so they see bikers goin down it all the time...he let him off on a verbal warning and told him he appreicated him stopping

now if that was me, he'd pull my *** off the bike and throw me in the cruiser. lol

all depends on the officer. we have a few officers around here that ride, so they are pretty easy on the bikers

Old 09-28-2005, 08:57 PM

I couldn't be so lucky... Pretty much the same thing happend to me, but the trooper said he could not clock me and gave me a careless and wreckless. I just hired a lawyer because I could not get it reduced myself..

Old 09-29-2005, 01:57 AM

Yeah...they say the same around my area. You won't get stoped if you're going over a 100mph..also there is another rumor that the cops around here won't even stop a biker going over the speed limit, especially on a sport, cuz they don't want to have to deal with chasing them. LOL

Old 09-29-2005, 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Jon600RR

My friend got caught goin 140 in a 60, and he stopped and pulled over...it was out on a old freeway thats hardly traveled anymore. the cop asked why he stopped and he said he wasnt going to run, and was just having a little fun since no one was around. the freeway is where alot of shops are (garage mahall & stuntlife.com) so they see bikers goin down it all the time...he let him off on a verbal warning and told him he appreicated him stopping

now if that was me, he'd pull my *** off the bike and throw me in the cruiser. lol

all depends on the officer. we have a few officers around here that ride, so they are pretty easy on the bikers

hes lucky. double the speed limit is a jailable offense here. my buddy and i got a verbal warning for doing 70 in a 50. only reason he caught us, i blew a radiator hose when i hit a bump in the road. same scenario, low traffic road, cop driving thed opposite direction.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:39 PM

I don't mean to preach(spell?) but I think it would be pretty stupid to try and out run a cop going over a 100+. You could get killed or kill someone else. I guess after you see someone that is all messed up or in pieces after hitting a car or getting hit by a car it changes you. I am a firefighter/EMT and I have seen it. Hell watch those cop chase shows, there are people that try to run on bikes and it doesn't work out. I just don't see why someone would be going 140 or even 90 in a 55 or 60........

Old 10-04-2005, 11:54 AM

I do not think it works as a general rule. If you were on familiar territory and you blew by a speed trap and were positive that the your plate was not seen, you could make a quick judgement call and make yourself scarce, taking a gamble that the officer won't run into you by chance. However, if the officer thinks that you saw him and are deliberatly outrunning him, trust me, you would not want to meet with him. So as a general rule, if you see lights behind you - it is too late - you got cocky, did not pay attention, and should pull over.

As far as Massachusetts troopers go... you know they will give you chase.

Quick Reply: How Not To Get Pulled Over