Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How much or how to negotiate Sticker Price at Auto Dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How much or how to negotiate Sticker Price at Auto Dealer...

Ok members, as you know, we don't always have to chance to buy a new car from authorized dealer.....but when you do have the chance, how much can you bargain??? I have found out, the range is ridiculously crazy...

The last time I tried to work the price at a dealer was a few years ago...Then yesterday, i helped my bro in law to make a purchase at dealer.

Let say this...2012 Toyota Camry LE with (Lexus) luxury package, fully loaded! 19" chrome etc....sticker asking price was $30,988....Before tax & fees...

We offer them $25k out the door, dealer counter $30K out the door (include all tax & fee)

We told this dealer that we are heading to another dealer next in town...

Last offer we gave them is $25K for the car, then + tax & fees....

Dealer said no, then offer $29000 out the door...

We said thank you but sorry...

As we walk into our car ready to drive away, sales run over to stop us, off $28250 out the door. We said no, we are heading to next dealer to offer same price....(in our mind, was that car is nice, but we act like nothing). Sales say wait...but we already in our car, seat belt fasten ready to go...

Sales runs inside again, then came out and shake our hands...... $25K for the car.....this is roughly $6000 off sticker...

I am wondering, does it take this every time we want the best price possible? I mean does it has to be that we must threaten to leave and buy from their competitors for any dealer to really slash their pricing...

I mean it took 4-5 trys until they accept our offer...

Wow, this Car was really nice...though buying a Toyota, it felt like a Lexus all around.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car Salesman are reluctant.
You will not get the best price until you are in the car ready to leave and he knows you are ready to buy.
If you are still in the dealership he still has the upper hand.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 AM
February 2012 ROTM

There are a few scenario that may change the game...if the ride you selected was a hot item, say a popular color or what not...dealer may be a bit firm cause they know they can sell it easy...

Yesterday, this Camry was black ext, black gray leather int. With wood trims...navigation....car was display inside showroom...

It's an LE? So who takes an LE (basic model MSRP $23,500) and loaded it with a Luxus package...we felt it may be a special order that went wrong...and cars in showroom display is dealers intent to get sold soon...

That's why we were more aggressive....

But the need to say no, I'll go to another dealer, get into your car to leave, in order to get best price...it's tiring

Some even getthe numbers first, then call previous dealer and negotiate...

Old 05-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

it's a game, and you need to play it to get what you want. it's all a matter of who will blink first. how bad do they want to sell it vs. how bad you want it. they know you're bluffing and you know they are as well. the best bluff comes from the one that is willing to walk away. there was obviously enough profit in that deal to not let you leave, and you have other options to buy the car.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also you have to remember the less you pay, the less they are putting in their own pockets. They want many as badly as you do

Old 05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
February 2012 ROTM

I was wondering if motorcycle dealer same as auto dealer? Can price be beat down as much? If so, how many % ?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

yes they can. their willingness to negociate depends on how long a bike has been sitting there and how bad they want to move it. most dealers (around here anyway) are pretty stubborn and mark the price over retail list. they know you options are limited for new bikes and that you are there because you want a bike.

i had a friend that bought a 08 600rr new. our local dealer was priced high and refused to make a deal with her. she had $10k in cash and wanted it for that, out the door. she walked out and they lost the sale. she ended up getting it from a dealer in Beaumont Ca, 45 min away in the middle of nowhere, for the $10k cash.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:27 PM

Bike margins are slimmer than cars from what I understand. I checked out my employee discount on a couple current CBR models and I tell ya, it's probably just around or a bit more than a good lot of you paid for your new bikes. If you're shopping around, get on the mailing lists of local dealerships. Money/incentives are thrown on bikes from on high at Honda HQ from time to time and it allows the dealers to help you out with the price and they'll make you aware of it as soon as they are.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by 74demon
i had a friend that bought a 08 600rr new. our local dealer was priced high and refused to make a deal with her. she had $10k in cash and wanted it for that, out the door.
Geez...did she know that some Honda dealers were selling the '08 1000RR for slightly under $7k at one time?

Anyway, when I bought mine I stopped by several local dealers and mentioned that low sale price. They didn't budge and so I ended up driving about 450 miles to a dealer in TN and bought it. One of them called me back as I was about halfway to TN and suddenly wanted to negotiate if I would stop by. They had their chance at one point but it was too late.