Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How many ppl do u need to safely put bike upstairs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007 | 05:14 PM
Default RE: How many ppl do u need to safely put bike upstairs?

When you do it, make sure you have that one extra person to video tape the whole thing and when the bike goes smashing to the ground put it on the web and give us the link.

Old 02-28-2007 | 10:30 PM

Was gonna say "repost" do a search.
I remember thisparticular procedure being very well documented.

ORIGINAL: MisterBasket

I did it last winter. Here was my write up from a previous post.

Bike Carrying 101 Tutorial

Step 1: Attempt to take the lazy man's approach by riding it up the stairs only to realize very quickly this is a horrible idea.

Step 2: Turn to Plan B and find 2 unsuspecting friends

Step 3: Assign them to lift up on the back while you pull forward from the front.

Step 4: Curse yourself for not finding smarter friends as you watch them attempt to pick up from the plastic tail.

Step 5: Repeatedly get your hands smashed between front wheel and fender as bike goes up 2 steps and down 1 with each move.

Step 6: Reach the stop of the stairs covered in sweat, bleeding from your hands, and hoarse from screaming expletives.

Step 7: Sit on your couch admiring your bike in your living room and begin wondering how the hell youre going to get it out of here.

Old 02-28-2007 | 11:04 PM

ORIGINAL: NYErion929

get some plywood and ride it up....[8D]
Hell yeah

Old 02-28-2007 | 11:35 PM

only calls for one person. just borrow a small crane or forklift for a few hours. if that isnt possible, just get a few kegs, about 10 friends, and carry it up the stairs. if you're smart, you'll find a way to stop the front wheel from spinning, such as a 4x4 post through the wheel, which could also in theory be used to carry from on both sides by 2 guys, and the same thing on the back wheel.

Old 03-01-2007 | 12:51 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: vpsophmore

it takes at least 10 people... you and 9 of your friends, get a keg of beer and acouple bottles of jager ... get torn the hell up and when you don't realize how heavy that sob is the 4 most determinedpeople do it... the reason you need 10 is that at least 3 people should pass out and at least 2 will play video games and 1 person of course needs to be pumping the keg
I worship at the throne of VP . I do appreciate you being pro-active, Jimbo, but how practical is your outcome...how many times will you have several friends to move the bike upstairs and get it back down again? You need a space, like many are saying. Do you have any friends who have a space for rent?

Old 03-01-2007 | 10:54 AM
|

2 times??? once up once back down i guess. i live in the same appartments as my sister and here husband is a construction worker and his brother lives in the same building too. there not friends ther family.

also i dont have a elevator its only 2 floors.

Old 03-01-2007 | 07:31 PM
Banned

put mine in the basemnt.. took 3.. after i got it done but no plastics.. put 4 people to take upstairs to be safe. worked great

Old 03-02-2007 | 03:00 AM
Retired Moderator

I can think of a few good reasons NOT to.......

1. It's against fire code to keep a vehicle inside an apartment (meaninig it's illegal).
2. You'll attract A LOT of attention trying to get it up the stairs, thus management will find out.
3. When management DOES find out, they'll fine you. (upwards of $500 and/or possible eviction).
4. You run the possibility of watching your bike flip down the stairs.
5. If the bike does fall down the stairs, I guarantee it'll do damage to the stairs and/or building.
6. Management will make you pay for the damage (which insurance WILL NOT cover)

..........seems like a bad idea, I woudn't attempt it even for a second. Kind of like saying
"I wonder if I can park my car on the roof?".