Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How has riding changed your driving?

Old 12-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How has riding changed your driving?

What has riding a motorcycle done to your driving habits? My driving hasn't changed significantly... But it has changed
  • I corner more aggressively
    I always liked to corner prior. But lately I've been trying to make it an art form. Least amount / no brake prior and on the gas as soon as possible, with a clean line as close to the corner as possible.
  • As soon as the light is green, I'm on the thrott... er, gas
    I knew everyone, except for me, couldn't drive before. But after wondering repeatedly if the person behind me was trying to imprint the Mercedes / Jaguar / Ram symbol on my rear fender, I get away from the pack as quick as possible
  • Intersections are high value targets on my radar
    Anyone who has driven in South Philly will tell you about the 1 way streets with blind intersections lining them. Often made worse by people double parking. People generally have no problem seeing the work E-350 coming over most cars. But because of several emergency swerves, my eyes are scanning the side streets nearly a half block (or more) away in any vehicle
  • My gf hates when I take a turn now
    She's excitable enough to loathe me taking any corner hard. But when she looked over and saw me looking through the turn, she damn near faints. She's not the best driver in the world as is (when she plays Midnight Club on my PS3, the cars audibly weep). But she doesn't get how I'm already scanned the entire road (including behind) and declared it safe enough to no longer need my attention

If it weren't for the fact the cases of vehicular death would skyrocket, I think everyone should be forced to ride for a year before getting a car. The defensive skills, the required sharpened awareness and the advanced mechanics of street navigation required to get home safe on a bike carry over very well. Nevermind how attentive they'd become to that annoying 2 wheeled gnat next to them when they've been that gnat

Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a few bad accidents when it was rainy in my old car and it really scarred me in terms of taking it a lot easier once it started to get wet. After riding in the rain a few times and having my tail get all kinds of squirrelly on me, all the scars seems to have healed.

While I was still in the States, I was big on autocross so my driving hasn't gotten much more aggressive... looking ahead to the next corner, picking lines, weight shifting and whatnot have always been second nature, even when driving on local roads. If anything, it's gotten a lot toned down when I'm just driving on the streets just because it's just not thrilling anymore. Since there's no timing or placement, I find I now stick more to the middle lane and just go with the flow of traffic when in my mild-mannered alter-ego form.

Also, I'm a lot more aware of bikers and give them plenty of space now.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I still give "some" space to "select" Sportbikes ..........cruisers I still keep in my
rear view mirror.....no matter what.....'specially VRods .....overall I drive faster than
ever before, corner at straight line speeds just to keep everyone in the car alert
......and everyone over 70 gets the lights , the horn & the finger .....LOL

Seriously though ...........nothing has changed much......I'm an angel, bike and car !

Old 12-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had bikes years before I even got a car license & agree that everyone should get a bike 1st or at the very least (in my state anyway), be made to jump through the same hoops & training that potential bike riders have to go through. Cars are so insular & touted with so much "safety equipment" that many feel it's also safe to drive like *****.

I find cars good for carrying home the shopping, carting my wife, dog & clothing on a holiday or visiting the rels. The cars that I can afford to buy are practical, safe,reliable & boring as hell. I just plod along with the traffic & drive to the conditions with my "Motorcycle Aware Driver" bumper sticker.