Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Help for first bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for first bike?

Hey whatsup everyone?

So, right now I have about a ~5,000 bankroll of play money to basically.. Buy a bike. Originally I wanted to get an 08-07 for around that price, but the prices have been up and down for the last few months and sticking a little above 5 now. Recently I started to think though that I'd rather have an older model for maybe 2-4(4,500 top), so at least if I drop it learning and becoming a better rider, I wouldn't be as mad.. Plus I'd get to keep 2k in my bank. If I go this route, I'll probably sell it in a year and get a new one the end of next winter. What do you guys think? I've been doing some research and the only bikes I see for around 3k are in the 2002 and lower era, and most likely not 600rr's, (Haven't found any worthwhile f4i's yet). Also, alot of the bikes for the price range stated have about anywhere between 15k+ miles on them. So my question to everyone is:
What would you do?
Where do you look for a bike?
How many are too many miles on a bike for the price? And lastly, what should I be expecting when I pay 3k on an older bike, mileage and damage wise?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this everyone! Take care!

Newest post:

Been searching and stumbled upon two other bikes, was wondering what everyone thought?

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1456691102.html
*12k miles.. Price is just within my range, hopefully could talk down to 3,500? Don't need the gear. Probably the bike I'd rather have, but the listing is a month old? Hopefully he still has it!
*Pros: All the after market, low miles.
Cons: One month old thread? Might not be available. If it is, going to pick up Thursday.. =) Lawl.
http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/1492974301.html
*22k miles. Enough said.. That's alot, even for an 04. Just under the maximum average miles ridden here in NJ (3-5k a year).
*Pros: New tires, tuneup, title in hand. Highway ridden?
Cons: 22k miles....... .... ... .. .

What does everyone think? Are either of these bikes worth it or is there better around? I've been looking for quite a while and .. NJ and anywhere around me, the prices suck. And not a lot of bikes are for sale around here right now for decent prices.

*Thank you so much for all your input guys! Very much appreciated!

Tom

Last edited by DieselRR; 12-08-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ebay is your friend
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blue-...580c7edf#v4-37

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NO-RS...ht_1614wt_1083

Couple of samples. An F4i I was watching went for 1500 with 4k miles on it. It was an insurance bike, missing the gas tank, but also had free delivery. And since the seller, a shop, posted they certified it ran well w/ fairing damage (no frame), if it wasn't what they said you could have filed a complaint to get your money back.

Any bike you get from Ebay will need a little (or a lot) TLC. But that's any used bike, you'll be better protected than classified / Craigslist and you'll learn a lot giving it the TLC. Just be patient and don't jump at the first thing you see.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

CL ....Criagslist too ..................depending on where you are located

F4i is indeed a good bike to hold out for ....great 1st bike too

Might want to edit your profile so we know where your located
and can let ya know if we see something of interest in your locale

Last edited by Sprock; 12-04-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

If conventional trolling wisdom holds true, then a bored 1500CC turbo Busa is the ideal first bike Sorry, could not resist.

Personally, I can not recommend a perfect first bike. If you have a $5K bank roll ready to burn a hole in your pocket then I am all for a decent F4i (or even a Kaw 500) at no more than $4000 and use the rest for decent gear ... helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves. MSF course is mandatory ... you just don't know how much information you will learn.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stretcher beat me to it. I would say get your gear first, then set aside $$ for safety course, registration and 1st year's insurance. What's left over is your bike budget.

Here in NY, if you buy privately you need to show the receipt when you register the bike, and pay the appropriate sales tax. Of course, you might be able to get the guy to write a receipt saying you paid $1,200 when you really paid $4,00

Old 12-04-2009, 07:47 PM

I've always thought (and still think) low mileage is the key. That way, assuming it looks good, they haven't had time to screw it up. I think the model year is of lesser importance. Also, fuel injection can be a big plus in the long run. Take your time and don't fall in love with the first bike or two you see. Look for a WILLING seller, as they say, so you can negotiate a good deal. There should be lots of them out there now.

I also like www.cycletrader.com

Last edited by JHouse; 12-04-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with sprock on this one (as much as it pains me to say it).

I would keep an eye on craigslist and look for an F4i. It's well within your price range even with low miles. I see them here around 3k all the time. I'm actually thinking about getting one as a 3rd bike.
Also, like he said, let us know your location and maybe we can help.

There is an '01 F4i about 20mins from me with 15k miles and in nice shape for $3,000. Not a bad price, especially before neg.

However, chainstretcher has a good point with the Turbo 'Busa.....

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 12-04-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:12 PM

Lol, yall are too funny. Yeah, it's been a while since I posted here but my intro went something along the lines of my experience so far.. Took my MSF course in august, and my girlfriends boss(owner of few Perkins) brother, lets me take out his Buell Lightning special edition every Tuesday, so I've been keeping up with my skills. Gear isn't that hard because my birthday and christmas is coming up soon so my girlfriend and parents said they'd save and get me gear when I got my bike. I only want to spend around 3 if possible because I want to keep the spare for parts and accessories. Other than that I think if one of those two bikes I saw checked out, and only needed a little bit of TLC and could talk it down to about 3 would be awesome heres the links:

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/1474408913.html

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/1465327525.html

Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 PM

Also, I'm in Central Jersey

Old 12-05-2009, 02:58 AM

As far as mileage, I wouldn't worry too much about it. these bikes, as long as they are maintained properly, will last a very long time. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a clean well maintained bike that had 40-50,000 on it. The only reason you see so many low mileage bikes is that most people don't ride them, so they dont realize how far these bikes will go. Of course, if you find a low mileage and a higher mileage in the same condition, go with the lower, but I wouldn't let the mileage be a factor in my buying decision. Just realize that there is scheduled maintainance that is required and it should have been completed before you buy the bike. Any bike around 16,000 or so is due for a valve inspection, and that can get really pricey if your not able to do it yourself. If you find a bike with those miles and the check hasnt been done, use that as a barganing chip as it can run 4-500 bucks to have them inspected at a dealership.

I know this is a Honda site, but don't overlook the early 2000 model R6's. I had one and it was an awesome bike. Over 30,000 miles when I sold it and not one problem. But with any carbed bike, more maintance is going to be required. So, whatever bike you get, check it over really well. If you can find an 03 R6, that would be even better. Another non Honda bike would be look for an 03-04 Ninja 636. My wifes was a great bike. We bought it from a friend for 3 grand and it had 22,000 miles on it. we recently sold it, but it was nice bike. Good power, handled decent, although it was bit buzzy in the handlebars.

But those two bikes you listed look decent too. Just keep in mind what ever you look at, check the tires, chain and sprocket, brakes. All of the wear items. You can eat up 500 bucks in a hurry if things need to be replaced.

good luck. Remeber, you've got some time to really look for what you want.