Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How to fill up your vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
Gives you worse MPG ...
This.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrashTECH
LOL, the funny thing about that is that because ethanol is less efficient it will actually pollute more. Makes no sense to me.

It's cheaper. That's what "cutting" is. Like narcotics; you "cut" it with something cheaper that most users won't notice to increase your overall supply. That's why US pumps usually say "May contain up to 10% ethenol"

Old 04-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get me going on the "green" peeps. You'd get anywhere from 5-10% better mileage if the fan cut on at 185F instead of around 210-220F. In cars the cadillac converter ( ) cuts fuel mileage by 10%. Know I'm not edumacated and stuff but seems to me if you use less gas to go the same distance you would use fewer resources and pollute less They'd rather cut carbon emissions and NOS by running your engine hot. I still wonder though ... if you got 20-30% better mileage in the end would you emit less carbon and bad stuff?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
It's cheaper. That's what "cutting" is. Like narcotics; you "cut" it with something cheaper that most users won't notice to increase your overall supply. That's why US pumps usually say "May contain up to 10% ethenol"
It isn't a matter of cost as it is Government mandated. They are thinking of increasing that to 15%. Ethanol futures are trading at or around $1.55.

If you take it on a cost per mile basis:
AAA estimated the nationwide average price of regular gasoline at $2.857 this morning; diesel at $3.056; E85 at $2.36. E85 would have to retail at $2.1428 to equal regular on a BTU basis.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:45 AM

Don't get me going on the "green" peeps. You'd get anywhere from 5-10% better mileage if the fan cut on at 185F instead of around 210-220F. In cars the cadillac converter ( ) cuts fuel mileage by 10%. Know I'm not edumacated and stuff but seems to me if you use less gas to go the same distance you would use fewer resources and pollute less They'd rather cut carbon emissions and NOS by running your engine hot. I still wonder though ... if you got 20-30% better mileage in the end would you emit less carbon and bad stuff?
That would be an interesting question, but I don't think you would. Even at a decrease in mileage I think reducing the emissions still wins.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also to be considered, the production of ethanol creates more emissions than the refining of crude.

On top of that, corn is a raw material that is directly related to nearly every food product in our country. The huge surge in demand for corn has pushed prices for all food products higher.

Moral of the story -- ethanol is a bad (really bad) idea pushed by ignorant/greedy representatives in the pockets of lobbyists for ethanol traders/producers.

For catalytic ( ) converters, I'm thinking the emissions reduced greatly outweighs mileage -- given a conservative driving style.. but it'd be interesting to see a breakdown of such emissions controls against the efficiency they cost...

Last edited by chuckbear; 04-14-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
corn is a raw material that is directly related to nearly every food product in our country. The huge surge in demand for corn has pushed prices for all food products higher.

ive read several articles over the last year stating all the problems ethenol has created in the food industry and problems will olny increase as the industry creates more demand for a product created to decieve the public that it is good for the enviornment.i call Bull$hit...

Old 04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bambam
ive read several articles over the last year stating all the problems ethenol has created in the food industry and problems will olny increase as the industry creates more demand for a product created to decieve the public that it is good for the enviornment.i call Bull$hit...

I agree ... but until you come up with a way to use water as fuel with gold as the emission we are pretty much screwed ...

Old 04-15-2010, 03:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree ... but until you come up with a way to use water as fuel with gold as the emission we are pretty much screwed ...
I heard Chuck Norris once made a car do that with a roundhouse kick, but the presence of his beard instantly exploded the vehicle because it came pretty close rivaling Chuck Norris' own awesomeness.

And eff going green, I'm tired of dealing with winter, I want to ride all year long... Bring on global warming.

Also, I can't WAIT to get back to NJ so I can get back to somewhat normal gas prices. I'm paying around $1.50-$1.75 per liter... around $6-7 a gallon for gas right now.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by raylee
I'm paying around $1.50-$1.75 per liter... around $6-7 a gallon for gas right now.
My bro's in Korea; he learned to ride and bought a bike while there BECAUSE of the gas prices.

Quick Reply: How to fill up your vehicles