Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Homes Theatre Systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Homes Theatre Systems

I have a MTX SW2 12" downfiring powred Sub as a part of my 7.1 system. I love it it just sucks that I can never see the full potential because I live in an apartment and my neighbor beneath me complained that his kitchen cabinets were vibrating. I only had the systam half way up. Plus i got the sub real cheap at circuit city I dont remember how much exactly but i think it was only a little over $100.

Old 08-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Retired Moderator

The only thing I really know, from live sound reproduction, is you do not want to underpower your speaks! It is a good thing to have to a lot of power from the amp because that gives you "headroom" and clarity. For my PA system, I bi-amp. I have 2000 watts for the mains, and a 600 watt amp that runs the monitor speakers. I'll bet it is the same science for home theater systems. I actually run Peavey speakers that sound very good...Peavey used to be total ****, but they have come a long way since the 80's.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:20 PM

I personally love my vega's... sadly you dont see them anymore. My LS-10's are my favorite speaker of all time. Granted they are huge speakers, but I am a big speaker kinda guy.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:52 AM

I see a bobcat, going down to the creek in the morning. I have a herd of deer in residence daily. The wolf (Carabiener) got skunked awhile back and she takes it out on the local bear by chasing it up trees at dinnertime. Is entertaining.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:35 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys. Blue Fox, I worked at Best Buy a few years back and I'm going back this winter as seasonal help. I went in today to talk to my old manager and decided to check out that sub and you correct. Klispch is awesome! Right now I'm running a kenwood surround sound system that consist of a front, rear, center and a 8 in sub. It works greats but like you said, the sound makes a movie. My system is all wired with monster cable but its all maybe 5-7 years old. Do you suggest atleast getting a new reciever to get the newer surround sound capabilites and extra power?

Old 08-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Get a new receiver you might as well, i still have 5-7 yr old monster cables, they haven't changed so no need to change those.

If your receiver does what you need then great, if you need HDMI in/out and 7.1 or 8.1 surround then get a new receiver. The new Harman/Kardon line is very very nice.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go ***** to the wall and get the Klipsch rs-7 15" with the 2000wrms internal amp, it will only run you around $1700 but rocks hard. They stopped making it 2 years ago but it was ungodly(I have it in a custom box with an external amp). Rattles my neighbors windows 100 feet away.
Like Bluefox I also do Audio for a living, but in the car.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:36 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Triax

Thanks for all the responses guys. Blue Fox, I worked at Best Buy a few years back and I'm going back this winter as seasonal help. I went in today to talk to my old manager and decided to check out that sub and you correct. Klispch is awesome! Right now I'm running a kenwood surround sound system that consist of a front, rear, center and a 8 in sub. It works greats but like you said, the sound makes a movie. My system is all wired with monster cable but its all maybe 5-7 years old. Do you suggest atleast getting a new reciever to get the newer surround sound capabilites and extra power?
If you are going back to work for Best Buy, buy it then with the Accommodation that we get with it (check it out, it's insane). Also, check out the rest of the Klipsch speaker Accommodation that we get. For instance, add up two F-3 speakers, one C-2 center channel, one pair of S-3 rears, and one Sub-12. You won't believe the accommodation on them!

And yes, sound processing has changed quite a lot over the past couple of years (especially with the receivers that support uncompressed digital audio through HDMI.) So, I would recommend getting a new one. I like the way the Harmon Kardon receivers sound, but MAN do they glitch like freaking crazy. It's like running Windows on a receiver......freezes up every 5 minutes.

I would probably recommend getting the Yamaha RX-V661 (we get a good discount on it, plus it supports HDMI and uncompressed digital audio.)

If you can (and if your store still has them.) GET the Yamaha HTR-5990 or HTR-6090 AT ALL COSTS! Those two receivers are SO much better than the new RX-V861 that replaced them.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to consider Velodyne subs.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:19 AM

DIY all the way, the designs are unlimited and you save a crapload of money while getting the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Also, if done right it would destroy store bought subs and speakers. This sub I built cost me $600, wood, subs, amp, and paint. 4 12"s (Ascendant Audio Assasins), 1000 watt parts express plate amp, 3/4" mdf 8 cubes sealed.

This sub below is one 12" Adire Brahma with a 1000 watt Bash amp, 3.5 cubes tuned to 20 hz.... It's in my living room and hits so low. Sounds great with music too. I'm a audio nut, home and car. I'm always building something.