Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Hole in my tire!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in my tire!

Ok, so I go for a pretty decent ride on Friday, from Oceanside, CA to Julian, CA. There were 35 riders with about 6 being sportbikes. All goes well even though it was a little slower than I would have preferred. On the ride back, I feel that the back tire is feeling a little soft. I don't think to much about it and chalk it up to being tired from the ride.

Fast forward to Saturday morning, chatting on the phone and notice that my back tire if FLAT!! I throw it up on the rear stand and find a nice chunk of glass imbedding in the center line of the tire. I don't get to upset about it cause I bought a tire replacement plan when I purchased the bike. I finally take it in today (Monday) to get fixed and find out that I have to pay for the replacement. The plan I bought only covers to a certain wear depth. I was just barely past that. Not a big deal, I get over it and have it fixed. They call me to pick it up, I go, pay, and start riding home. Now on the way home, I have to meet my family at a store. I get there and park and notice I have a big freaking SCREW in my brand new tire.

Now, I'm a little pissed and laughing at the same time. At least the shop couldn't tell me that I didn't have enough tread left. I managed to get about 7 miles out of the new tire before I had it replaced. And, no, they didn't charge me this time. So, in the matter of the weekend, I am on my third tire.

Old 11-14-2006, 03:36 AM
Default RE: Hole in my tire!

lol. Yeah, I had a nail in my last tire after 1500 miles (had 75% thread left). but I didn't get the tire insurance... So I pluged the hole and did a nice burn out. It was actually my first time doing burn outs so I learned a bit and had some fun. Good way to scorch 120 bucks of bad rubber.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:21 AM

That tire insurance plan dosent make sense. Why do you have to have a certain amount of tread left? That would just cause me to slash my tires every other month.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once spent over two months restoring a full fairing that fitted a bike I had, (bought it cheap from a dealer, but it had been in a stack).
Never done this sort of thing before, but after work & week ends, got the fibreglass kit out and away I went.
Would sit and look at TV while rubbing the thing down with wet & dry sandpaper, Took ages to match the paint, friend spray painted it for me, but had to line up the compressor & spray gun, job done. Carefully componded down the finish. took a week end to mount it by myself (no instructions on how it went together)
Two days later, a girl at work came in and said "Is that your bike laying on the ground out in the car park?". I just laughed cos I thought she was joking right!, nope. The only bloody time I ever parked it on it's side stand, rear tyre had gone flat (from one of those huge paper clips), as the tyre went flat, made the bike stand upright and then topple. this time on the other side from the repair, had dented the tank as well. Broke me this time, just put it into the shop and let them do it. cost me $$$'s. Got the bike back, (beautifull job to) after having to commute by train for two weeks, and then the bike terminally shat itself on the way to work about a month later. I guess it only confirmes that God has a sense of humour.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:24 AM
VP

I went to pick up my bike... first day I had even seen it I had it ordered for a few days... and when it arrived guy took it for a test drive and low and behold a nail in it.... 2 miles on the tires. Just patched it and it's fine... never leaked ever since that day.