Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Hi all,How does one register a new CBR that is from out of state in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi all,How does one register a new CBR that is from out of state in CA?

Hi all,
I made the mistake of buying a new 06 CBR600RR out of state bike from ebay with less than 7,500 mi and I'm living in CA. Has anyone encountered this situation before. I heard a new bike with less than 7,500 mi entering CA can not be registered since it doesn't meet the emission requirements. I don't want to have to resell it and don't want to have to ride it illegally.
I was considering registering it in AZ and once I get to 7,500mi then registering it back in CA.
I was also thinking about forging the milage on the pink slip and installing a different speedometer from another bike with 7,500 or more miles. Has anyone tried this. What should I do? If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
Thanks

Old 10-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Default RE: Hi all,How does one register a new CBR that is from out of state in CA?

U bought a bike off EBAY!!!!

Im not sure where but i think ya got scammed ..ive heard this bike story before....but if ya didnt and ya know the sale is gonna go thru...im not so sure forging an odometer reading is the smartest thing to do....but to each his own...let alone admit it in an open forum..now thats down right SILLY

Old 10-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Default RE: Hi all,How does one register a new CBR that is from out of state in CA?

I would never add miles on liek that...how many miles are on it? why does it need 7500 does that exempt it?

Old 10-07-2006, 11:04 PM

I would NOT swap odometers, unless I'm mistaken, its illegal. what I'd do, is register it in whatever other state you live in, and forget it.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:09 AM

It has under 200 mi. CA has a new vehicle law that states you can't import a new vehicle(anything under 7,500mi)--unless it is CA emmission compliant--not 49 states. They have a clause that states that the miles must be 7,500 or more at the time of sale. I can't just add the miles after the fact. I guess they don't want guys buying new bikes from other states and bringing them here because they dealers and government want your $$.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:54 PM

Yep I had exactly the same situation happen this summer. Bought a real nice low mileage CBR1000 in Idaho, then learned that I couldn't register it here in CA.

You have a few options:

1) Install a catalytic converter, take it to a smog referee and get a waiver.
2) Sell it to someone out of state.
3) Add mileage in your backyard on a wheel stand.
4) Register it out of state long enough to add the 7500 miles. Note that this could land you in a lot of trouble. If you are a CA resident your vehicles are supposed to be registered in CA within 30 days of purchase.