Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

HELP 50-state Lane-Splitting Petition Started On Whitehouse.Gov

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 08:50 AM
"A"
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation HELP 50-state Lane-Splitting Petition Started On Whitehouse.Gov

Sign before APR 12, 2016

Details about Lane-spliting

Old 03-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Signed

Don't think it'll happen, but why the hell not try

Old 03-18-2016, 04:01 PM
"A"

I have ridden motorcycles around the world in many different countries that don't have laws specifically pertaining to motorcycle lane-splitting in any traffic pattern.

IMO, the problem in this country is that drivers are not accustom to motorcycles on public roads.

Drivers fail to understand what two-wheel vehicles are more maneuverable and well capable of safely operating within close proximity among cars.

Sure, a$$hat motorcyclists do exist that cause accidents, but likely in the minority when compared to drivers talking or txting on cellphones while operating their vehicles. The few that do cause accidents put a bad name for all motorcyclists, just like the few that pop wheelies in traffic and speed excessively and get away without causing accidents.

Whether federal laws would effect each state is not what's important; what's important is that if there is a federal law that allow lane-splitting, more likely more states would adopt similar.. and more motorcycles might be on the roads.. more drivers notice motorcycles.. maybe safer for all motorcyclists on the road?

Old 04-10-2016, 07:42 AM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Signed. Wish we were a bit closer on the needed sigs but hey it all has to start somewhere. Someday perhaps.

I still wonder when we are going to catch up with the rest of the world on certain issues.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lane split regularly, in highway and in the city. I always give the driver in the left lane ample time to either move ahead and merge over or drop behind and do the same. But if both drivers want to sit there like idiots driving side by side I take great pleasure in burning right between the 2 of them, cutting it closest to the offending driver's car on the way out!

Old 10-26-2016, 10:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I missed the opening period.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:43 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by projo198
I take great pleasure in burning right between the 2 of them, cutting it closest to the offending driver's car on the way out!
And that's why so many people oppose it.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:57 PM
"A"

Originally Posted by projo198
I take great pleasure in burning right between the 2 of them, cutting it closest to the offending driver's car on the way out!
Just another reason that motorcyclists are hated by other motorists on public roads.
You give motorcyclists bad reputation.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by "A"
if there is a federal law that allow lane-splitting,
Just to clarify how the legal system works in this country, laws don't "allow" things in our system, they "prohibit" things. By default if something is not legally prohibited then it is legal. Example: California. There is no law prohibiting lane sharing, therefore you can. In Wyoming the law specifically states only one vehicle in a lane at a time, therefore you can't.

I'm not sure what purpose a federal law allowing lane splitting would accomplish as the federal government doesn't decide traffic rules for the states. This would be setting a precedent that the feds would decide local traffic laws and that might be problematic in the long run as an encroachment into the federalist principles of states rights.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:09 AM

I seem to recall something about a federal speed limit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law#Enactment

Quick Reply: HELP 50-state Lane-Splitting Petition Started On Whitehouse.Gov