CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   HELP 50-state Lane-Splitting Petition Started On Whitehouse.Gov (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/help-50-state-lane-splitting-petition-started-whitehouse-gov-154251/)

"A" 03-16-2016 08:50 AM

HELP 50-state Lane-Splitting Petition Started On Whitehouse.Gov

Sign before APR 12, 2016

Details about Lane-spliting

Conrice 03-16-2016 07:28 PM

Signed

Don't think it'll happen, but why the hell not try

"A" 03-18-2016 04:01 PM

I have ridden motorcycles around the world in many different countries that don't have laws specifically pertaining to motorcycle lane-splitting in any traffic pattern.

IMO, the problem in this country is that drivers are not accustom to motorcycles on public roads.

Drivers fail to understand what two-wheel vehicles are more maneuverable and well capable of safely operating within close proximity among cars.

Sure, a$$hat motorcyclists do exist that cause accidents, but likely in the minority when compared to drivers talking or txting on cellphones while operating their vehicles. The few that do cause accidents put a bad name for all motorcyclists, just like the few that pop wheelies in traffic and speed excessively and get away without causing accidents.

Whether federal laws would effect each state is not what's important; what's important is that if there is a federal law that allow lane-splitting, more likely more states would adopt similar.. and more motorcycles might be on the roads.. more drivers notice motorcycles.. maybe safer for all motorcyclists on the road?

PossibleOne 04-10-2016 07:42 AM

Signed. Wish we were a bit closer on the needed sigs but hey it all has to start somewhere. Someday perhaps.

I still wonder when we are going to catch up with the rest of the world on certain issues.

projo198 10-26-2016 09:07 AM

I lane split regularly, in highway and in the city. I always give the driver in the left lane ample time to either move ahead and merge over or drop behind and do the same. But if both drivers want to sit there like idiots driving side by side I take great pleasure in burning right between the 2 of them, cutting it closest to the offending driver's car on the way out!

Jaybird180 10-26-2016 10:49 AM

I missed the opening period.

74demon 10-26-2016 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by projo198 (Post 1299548)
I take great pleasure in burning right between the 2 of them, cutting it closest to the offending driver's car on the way out!

And that's why so many people oppose it.

"A" 10-26-2016 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by projo198 (Post 1299548)
I take great pleasure in burning right between the 2 of them, cutting it closest to the offending driver's car on the way out!

Just another reason that motorcyclists are hated by other motorists on public roads.
You give motorcyclists bad reputation.

heresolong 07-06-2017 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by "A" (Post 1294359)
if there is a federal law that allow lane-splitting,

Just to clarify how the legal system works in this country, laws don't "allow" things in our system, they "prohibit" things. By default if something is not legally prohibited then it is legal. Example: California. There is no law prohibiting lane sharing, therefore you can. In Wyoming the law specifically states only one vehicle in a lane at a time, therefore you can't.

I'm not sure what purpose a federal law allowing lane splitting would accomplish as the federal government doesn't decide traffic rules for the states. This would be setting a precedent that the feds would decide local traffic laws and that might be problematic in the long run as an encroachment into the federalist principles of states rights.

Jaybird180 07-07-2017 11:09 AM

I seem to recall something about a federal speed limit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maximum_Speed_Law#Enactment