Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!

Somehow my computer erased all my Iraq pictures. My computer does not also want to boot up either. A blue screen comes on instead. Will I be able to retrieve my pictures? I talked to the geek squad at best buy and they wanted anywhere from 500 to 2000 dollars to do a data recovery. Does anyone know of a good place that has an outstanding reputation that would not cost that much. I honestly did not think it would be that much. I guess I will have to pay that. Those pictures do mean alot to me. Any insight would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-20-2007, 11:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help!!!!

Take the drive out and put it in an external enclosure, see if another computer can see the files. If not I'll post the names of some apps that will (should) be able to help. Do not do anything else to the drive ahead of time.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:15 PM

http://isohunt.com/torrents/data%20recovery

If you like the software, buy it. I hope it helps.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:20 PM

Does it matter if I used the computer since. This happened about a month ago. I have not used the computer except for maybe 4 or 5 times after the fact. I also did not download or erase anything to make sure I did not overwrite anything. Thanks again for your help

Old 03-20-2007, 11:21 PM

Just because you get the blue screen of death does not mean all is lost. Assuming you have a regular desktop PC, plug your hard drive into a friend's PC and see if it can be read from. A lot of time those errors come from boot sector issues. If it can be read download everything you need off there immediately. You will need a new hard drive regardless.

If you cant read from that hard drive, you will need to find a company that supports hard drive restoration. $500 to $2000 seems a little spendy but its something I have never looked hard into. Hate to say this, but it will teach you to back things up.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: telgren

Just because you get the blue screen of death does not mean all is lost. Assuming you have a regular desktop PC, plug your hard drive into a friend's PC and see if it can be read from. A lot of time those errors come from boot sector issues. If it can be read download everything you need off there immediately. You will need a new hard drive regardless.

If you cant read from that hard drive, you will need to find a company that supports hard drive restoration. $500 to $2000 seems a little spendy but its something I have never looked hard into. Hate to say this, but it will teach you to back things up.
Please follow my link above, I do this stuff for a living (not help desk either). There is software that can recover files from the drive, even if you have to do a format to see it on another computer. This software is very inexpensive and can save your ***.

You can also do things like fdisk /mbr and recover boot sector issues. I use mirrored sets and tape backups for EVERYTHING.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:24 AM

I just bought a new desktop. Is there a way I can hook up that laptop to my tower? Try reading it like it was a huge storage device? Where would I look? Those pictures were gone. Somewhere in there...LOL. I appreciate the help THEX. I just may have to do it your way too.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 AM

You can buy a special laptop hard drive to USB connection like this:

http://www.gogocost.com/xcart/produc...t=5&page=1