Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:15 AM
July 2008 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The internet is serious business!

Old 06-29-2012, 12:10 PM

Since they repealed the law here in Michigan, I still wear my helmet as does everyone I ride with, but I am happy that the law was repealed.

Our sport is dangerous and always will be. Putting a 3/4" piece of foam between your head and the ground is not going to prevent you from dying if you have a direct impact. A helmet will save your face and head from abrasions, but it won't prevent your brain from smashing into your skull during a crash, which is what causes brain injuries that helmets cannot prevent. No matter how much money you spend or how safe it makes you feel. Its a piece of foam wrapped by a thin shell... thats it.

If the government truly wanted to help save lives, they would do it with education, not more laws and regulations. And the education needs to be involved for everyone on the road, including those who are not on motorcycles.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:14 PM

First of all I live in Iowa and we dont have a helmet law! That said...What I think is funny I talk to people or read threads about people who want louder exhaust or what ever so people know they are there so they are safer or "feel" safer. Then these are also the same people who dont protect their head (no helmet). Me I wear a helmet no matter what. I might not be cool or in style or what ever for the ladies or who ever it may be but they dont care if I hurt my head if I crash I DO!!! Do I think the law should make it were you have too???? Its your choice to do so even if its a law do you think that will stop people from breaking it?? People still dont wear their seat belt!!! I rather be safe then sorry!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Official Junior Possum Member

I'm in the military, and it's required that all motorcycle riders wear the proper protective equipment (helmet, gloves, ankle high shoes,pants, long sleeve shirts, reflective vest, etc), and I'm totally on board with them on nearly everything except the reflective vest. My only thing on the reflective vest is that they haven't proven too effective for me during the day, as I still encounter dangerous situations often. At night, they're awesome.

I personally like wearing my helmet, it does get hot and sweaty out here in the day time, but I know that can help protect me. Plus, some nice features that it has is reduced noise from my exhaust, awesome face shields, and I think it completes the look of a sport bike rider.

Even if it wasn't mandatory for me to wear it, I still would. Better to wear it and not have to use it, than to need it and not have it.

My pretty face is the only thing going for me fellas, gotta keep that for those womenfolk :P

Old 08-02-2012, 06:43 PM

Much like my positive take on baby seal blubber and its fine protective qualities on my leather jackets - I'm all for you folks not wearing helmets.

It keeps Organ donations flowing.