Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Helmet Laws

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008 | 01:33 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Default RE: Helmet Laws

I have a buddy called Denzel, who fell off a bike over thirty years ago, without a helmet.
He was a bright guy, good rider, great future.
He is able to walk around, talk a bit and feed himself, but can't hold down a regular job.
His IQ is now around 60.
Everyone feels sorry for him.

He's one of the lucky ones

I'd rather be dead

Wear a helmet, law or no law.

Old 12-28-2008 | 02:42 AM

all those hating on no-helmet law states are just jealous that we can ride around the block or down the street without a lid. I wear mine 99% of the time but its nice that i don't get harrassed by the popo's when i just ride down to the gym or to the store with sunglasses on.

btw injuries involving riders with no helmets DO NOT raise our insurance rates. Imagine all the other car accidents that outnumber the motorcycle accidents, people who have no insurancewith terminal illness in hospitals rackin up millions of dollars from welfare and taxpayer money, etc. those are the real reason by our rates go up. And this is from 8yrs working in the hospital in the financial department.

Old 12-28-2008 | 03:35 AM

^ Plus Id imagine a nice batch of 20 yr organs worth quite a bunch if youre a donor :P

Old 12-28-2008 | 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Justice06RR

all those hating on no-helmet law states are just jealous that we can ride around the block or down the street without a lid. I wear mine 99% of the time but its nice that i don't get harrassed by the popo's when i just ride down to the gym or to the store with sunglasses on.

btw injuries involving riders with no helmets DO NOT raise our insurance rates. Imagine all the other car accidents that outnumber the motorcycle accidents, people who have no insurancewith terminal illness in hospitals rackin up millions of dollars from welfare and taxpayer money, etc. those are the real reason by our rates go up. And this is from 8yrs working in the hospital in the financial department.
Nope, still not good enough. I live in a state without a helmet law and have NEVER ridden without it. Your arguments are without merit this time.

Every time an unnecessary injury happens it aids in raising insurance rates. To argue against that is to argue against economics, it's foolish at best.

Old 12-28-2008 | 11:09 AM
RCR

Insurance.com's quarterly Car Insurance Rate Report found that the lowest car insurance quotes, on average, increased 3.4% over the previous quarter, rising from $1,831 per year to $1,893 per year. The rate report is based on real-time auto insurance quotes given to consumers from more than a dozen insurance companies during the second quarter. It marks the second consecutive quarter of rate increases, following last quarter's 1% increase, reversing the trend of steady or falling auto rates for the past several years.

"Our quarterly rate report is a leading indicator of where auto insurance rates are heading," said Dave Roush, CEO of Insurance.com. "Car insurance companies are continuing to raise prices due to rising medical costs and the rising cost of repairing vehicles. We believe rates will continue to increase through 2009 as carriers adjust their rates to compensate for these costs."
Car insurance rates vary by state, and some states experienced rate quote increases in the second quarter that were greater than the average. Indiana and Texas, for example, saw rates jump 6.7% and 4.3%, respectively.

See I may be an acception to the rule. I pay in full for a year at a time and ask for a discount each time. I win first then you win last cause it does look like their out to get you Texans

Old 12-28-2008 | 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: TheX
Nope, still not good enough. I live in a state without a helmet law and have NEVER ridden without it. Your arguments are without merit this time.
If you're in Texas, we have a helmet law.

Over the years, Texas has gone back and forth - law when I got my license in the early 70's, then no law if over 18, then law again for everybody, and then what we have now: Required, unless you're at least 21 and have completed an MSF course OR you have $10,000 in medical insurance. You have to get a sticker from DPS ($5) to put on your bike. I have never seen one of the stickers, but have seen lots of riders with nohelmets.

I always wear mine, it has saved me a time or two.

Old 12-28-2008 | 04:14 PM
Retired Moderator

I will never be jealouse of anyone who rides without a helmet to the store. Considering how many accidents occur close to home, I wouldn't be willing to gamble with my brain. You know when accidents happen? When you least expect them to...like on your way to the store down the street, or to a friends house, or to drop off some movies.

Old 12-28-2008 | 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

I will never be jealouse of anyone who rides without a helmet to the store. Considering how many accidents occur close to home, I wouldn't be willing to gamble with my brain. You know when accidents happen? When you least expect them to...like on your way to the store down the street, or to a friends house, or to drop off some movies.
+++1

Whenever I hear "I always wear my helmet, except when I am just going (somewhere close)", I always think of or make thecomment, "Oh yea, NO ONE has ever been killed or injured in an accident that close to home. You're absolutely safe."

Old 12-28-2008 | 10:31 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon

This discussion is a no win for anyone -
Those who wear helmets know why and will always wear them.
Those who don't, hope they never need one. Also cleaning a big green locust off your teeth isn't much fun.
I'm with Hardcorps and X on this one - ATGATT

Helmets here are almost a status symbol - we buy the best we can afford, and try to find non-local colours from other countries to look different.

Quick Reply: Helmet Laws