Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

HD DVD or Blu-Ray?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:58 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD DVD or Blu-Ray?

Alright guys, as a Home Theater Enthusiast and employee selling the stuff, i would like to ask........(for those of you who actually keep up on this stuff.)

HD DVD or Blu-ray...........which one do you have and why?

I'll start.........our household has both. I personally support HD DVD, but my roommate has a PS3, so we also have Blu-ray as well.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HD DVD or Blu-Ray?

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

Alright guys, as a Home Theater Enthusiast and employee selling the stuff, i would like to ask........(for those of you who actually keep up on this stuff.)

HD DVD or Blu-ray...........which one do you have and why?

I'll start.........our household has both. I personally support HD DVD, but my roommate has a PS3, so we also have Blu-ray as well.
Has Sony's technology in the past won out? Betamax, minidisc, etc... I don't have eithe right now. I really want to tait to see which format ultimately wins out. What advantages does one have over the other?

Old 08-29-2007, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blu-Ray all the way!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:15 AM

i have been saying blue ray from the start. months ago when this started and i still say blue ray now is the best.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Banned

I think Blockbuster is stocking only blu-ray, so that works for me. I have the Blockbuster Movie Pass ($12/month)and the only time I even think about buying a DVD is when they are $5 at Walmart or Target. I can't see ever putting together another DVD collection when I can rent them so cheaply.

Edit: I don't have either now, but The way it looks, I'll get Blue Ray .

Old 08-29-2007, 09:05 AM

def Blu-Ray. The technical aspects of blu-ray are superior to that of HD-DVD, that is how i made my decision to support BD.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Users

i am saying HD-DVD....only on the fact that I HATE sony....lol....

on a side note....i heard there is already development of a dual format disc that can hold both HD-DVD and blu-ray on one disc....and play in either player...dunno read about it a little ways back...

Old 08-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Isnt Blu Ray way more expensive than HD DVD?

Old 08-29-2007, 03:46 PM

blu ray is way more expensive.. but they are like that because Sony got all the backing from the motion pictures companies.. where HD is only getting a few. blu ray was brought out before HD DVD (on 360) so alot of people were renting blu-ray because of their PS3's.

i would just be scared to buy a HD-DVD drive for my 360 because i seldom see movies in hollywood video for HD-DVD, there is like a "small small" section of HD and we got a isle almost of blu-ray now.

now if i was a person that didnt want PS3 but wanted a blu-ray, i wouldnt buy one of those media player.. they are still around$800-900, where i could just buy the PS3 for $499 (and isnt there a price drop soon? i dont keep up anymore) where with xbox360, need to buy that and then the attachment?

and i heard about the dual purpose HD/blu-ray discs.. you can get a burner/reader drive for your PC for like $1,000+.. (that's new techology.. wait 6 months and it will be $300 or less)

Old 08-29-2007, 03:53 PM

what do you mean blu-ray is "way more expensive"? From a manufacturing standpoint? or an end-user standpoint? Because price for the players are fairly similar for both standards, blu-ray might be a little more expensive but I wouldnt say way more expensive.