Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Hardest bike project?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hardest bike project?

I thought messing with the carbs were bad. But the last 3 days stripping paint and sanding for painting are by far the most aggravating and messy task done to date. My usually loving girlfriend, the woman that still insisted on kissing me daily when I was brought low by the oink flu, just shoves me in the shower and won't look at me till I squeak clean

Alrighty, what's the toughest thing you've done on your bike? What's the messiest? What future task should I dread more than painting my bike?

Last edited by Kuroshio; 10-13-2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

removing stupid sucks, it seems there is not a rag big enough to wipe the dumb off of some of the bikes ive seen. keep it up , the end is near, soon youll be preppin for paint , hang in there kuro, those fiber glass boogers will pay off soon. i would rather be beaten with a big stick than go thru all that paint i saw u removin. i dont think there is a more dreaded task than body work, as i have seen people poor hours into it and still have a ugly bike . But i do like carb rebuilds , i have quite a few freinds that bring me theirs to do , cause i take my time and dont return till i know its rite. peace

Old 10-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had lots of horror stories with bike projects/maintenance, swing arm/steering head bearings, trying to remove the front sprocket & the bolts just kept stripping & snapping "easy outs". But by far the longest was prepping a fairing that I got 2nd hand from a dealer.
It had been in a bingle on the left side (which is why I got it cheap), never done any fiberglass repair work before & some of the damage was to big for just resin...Spent many hours sanding & resin sanding & resin. Then sanding with wet & dry 1200 grade, paint primer, more sanding, painting & final coats of clear, compounding (more sanding) & then took a week end to install the mounting frame, electrics & finally the fairing, looked f**king great to.
Three days later I found my bike laying on its side in the work car park, right side this time & the impact also dented the tank.....................Who said god never had a sense of humour.

From this.
Name:  18448_0_1_2_xz550_Imagecredits-byPi.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  24.7 KB

To this.
Name:  yamaha_xz_550_1982_3.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  91.4 KB

Last edited by pacemaker; 10-14-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stripping sucks. I've only got 1 part (right rear) stripped and sanded to a somewhat satisfactory point. I've got 2 paint guns and primer begging to be used.

Honestly as far as projects go, painting has to be the most frustrating. There are a billion spots on each fairing for OCD to rear its ugly head. "I need to hit that spot a little bit more with the 320".

Engine rebuilds can't be this bad because no matter how difficult eventually a tool will tell you "You're done".