Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Greeting other riders....rules or not?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wave like a kid seeing santa

Old 06-23-2009, 12:51 AM

to me two wheels is to wheels. were all out to enjoy ourselves.

but then again i got waved at the other day by someone on a bicycle. he had his spandex on and all that competitive riding gear etc. i couldnt help it but i started laughin my *** off and gave him a nod.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:20 AM

Changing this slightly to see your guys and gals opinions.

Over here in the UK, helmet wearing is law so that doesnt come into it.

The way most bikers greet each other is with a nod. If i were to be over the pond and nodded to a fellow rider would it even be noticed as a greeting or would you all be looking to the hand?

Also i probably diss all the time! certainly i would if i had the states highways rather than the twisty stuff here!

Usualy every biker will greet in the UK, the only times i havent got a return nod was from the occasional cruiser/harley or goldwing, but thats probably due to the people rather than the bike!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:24 AM

The other day I passed a guy on a sport bike, he was a big fellow.... I mean fat really...... He had no helmet on and as I was slowing down to turn he had just taken off and was speeding up. I gave him the wave and you could see the look of panic on his face as he very quickly gave me a half second, shaky wave as if he had to get his hand back on the bar before he wrecked. The poor guy was obviously new to bikes and looking very awkward on it..... lol
Should have had a helmet on at least.... I guess he needed to look cool tho in his shaky sort of way..... lol

Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by wolfy
Over here in the UK, helmet wearing is law so that doesnt come into it.
There are only 4 out of the 50 states here that have NO helmet laws. Most of them require helmets for 17 years and younger, and a very few require it for all riders.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/helmet_laws.htm

The way most bikers greet each other is with a nod. If i were to be over the pond and nodded to a fellow rider would it even be noticed as a greeting or would you all be looking to the hand?
Nods are very common here, especially among novice riders who aren't comfortable one-handing it yet, or in situations where both hands are doing something. I get plenty of nods.

the only times i havent got a return nod was from the occasional cruiser/harley or goldwing, but thats probably due to the people rather than the bike!
Same in the US. It's a personality thing, though the Goldwing's tend to be more friendly folk.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by dohcdelsol
to me two wheels is to wheels. were all out to enjoy ourselves.

but then again i got waved at the other day by someone on a bicycle. he had his spandex on and all that competitive riding gear etc. i couldnt help it but i started laughin my *** off and gave him a nod.

I acknowledge bicyclists on the road ALL the time. I'm sure they thing I'm some sort of ***** puttin around on my motorcycle and giving them a sarcastic wave all like "get a REAL bike, ****er!", but I respect them. They're doing exactly what we're doing, but they're even less protected from traffic, and busting their *** to do it. There's no way in hell I could take a bicycle as far as those dudes in the spandex do. Two wheels is two wheels.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rod38um
Should have had a helmet on at least.... I guess he needed to look cool tho in his shaky sort of way..... lol
hahaha i like my face but come on guys the helmets make us all look badass!

No helmet rule? Id still wear em for the LOOK

Old 06-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqykEhOIaRk

Love this vid. The hello kitty wave gets me every time..

Old 07-06-2009, 08:32 AM

Man, I totally got the "dis" from a squid on a jixer yesterday. Shorts & T-shirt, sneakers, no gloves, no helmet. Coming the opposite direction, looks at me, and purposely drops his hand to his thigh. I bet he carries this article around with him.

Hell, I bet he wrote it.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:34 PM

I try to wave at any biker cause i have friends with all types of bikes. But i am still a new rider and i don't always feel comfortable taking my left hand off the handlebar but i will at least give a nod.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Greeting other riders....rules or not?