Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Got to testify

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007 | 03:36 PM
|
Default Got to testify

Well in about a week I have to go testify in court against these guys who broke into my truck and stole my stereo system. I am very nervous about this and I am debating not going. Have any of you had to do this? What do you think will happen if I dont go? Why am I nervous, well heres the story:

It's about 3a.m. and I am playing in an online poker tourney(as I often do). I look to my siberian husky and she is "froze" stairing at the window. I disreguard this for a bit. Then I hear a noise outside and figure it was a neighbor. I look to my dog again and now she is on the couch "froze" trying to see out the window. So I decide to go to the window and check it out. What I see is my dome light on in my truck!! I have been robbed before so I knew instantly what had happened. I grab my maglite and rush out the door(in nothing more than a pr of mesh shorts, no shoes, socks, shirt, etc.)

I run to my truck and sure as s##t my stuff was gone, I cicrle the block on foot(still naked) to see what I can find. I new of a residence where there was alot of drug traffic, theft, and even a suicide(an old friend )in the past few months. I see a guy getting into a car, I figured I would ask him if he seen anything suspicious. As I approached quietly I realise he is taking something out of his car. As I get to him I see that hes pulling speakers out. I shine my maglite on them and sure as s##t they are mine. I ask him "what ya got there?" Before he could reply I dropped him with a right, he fell like a ton of bricks with my heavy *** sub box falling on top of him. Not knowing if or when the others would be coming out I grab my subs and run back home. I called the police and grab my .45. Three police cars show up and interogate and arrest him, they even said he might have to go to the hospital. The police were very nice and COMPLETELY on my side.

So, I am nervous. Could he turn this whole thing around and press charges? The cops said I should be fine as long as I make it clear to the judge that I was "in fear for my life". Any advise guys, if not thanks for reading anyhow..

Old 01-08-2007 | 03:46 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Got to testify

im sure you will be fine. i mean common if the guy is stupid enough to rob you when he lives only a few houses down then what would stop him from pullin a gun or weapon on ya ? people have been killed over stupider thiongs then that so im sure you can get away with the "i was afraid for my life" defense. because in all reality who knows, there could've been a gun in the car he just didnt have time to pull it out yet . good job on catchin him though ! i wodulnt be afraid to testify because 1 they already know its you so any thoughts you have of retaliation would already be able to happen with or without you testifying. atleast if you do testify then you have a better chnace of getting him locked up and if anything happens after that then the charges can be more severe(sp?)

Old 01-08-2007 | 03:57 PM

I say do it. Being a good old farm myself he got what was coming to him. You caught him red handed. That in its own right should put him behind bars.

Old 01-08-2007 | 04:24 PM

TESTIFY, you should be ok with defense, especially since he had your stuff in hand. I would be careful reguardless. I used to bounce in a bar and my dad told me go in thinking the guy you tossed out the night before is coming back for you the next night and you'll always be ready. He didn't mind to take your **** why should you mind to put him in jail for it. If you don't go then he gets to walk away.

Old 01-08-2007 | 04:28 PM
Banned

you have to testify, he stole your stuff.. screw that, and just make it very clear what happend, he had the ***** to steal your ****, he now has to have the ***** to get knocked the F**K out and get his A** put in jail! great job defending you and your property!

Old 01-08-2007 | 05:33 PM

I dont know. If it were me, i prolly wouldnt. I pretty sure a good old fashioned *** beatin woulda been plenty enought justice for me. But to each their own i guess. Im not sure what ur chances are as far as not bein sued, think it really depends on what state u live in. Im pretty sure in cali they let anything fly and where im at, he wouldnt have a chance in hell of gettin money from u.

Old 01-08-2007 | 05:54 PM

I would testify. I've done so before - long story, MUCH different case.

Like havoc said, they already know who you are so what difference would it make if you didn't show? And ifhe's going to bring charges against you -he can do it whether you testify against him or not. You'd be in worse condition if you don't testify and he does bring charges up on you - then you're the only one who went to trial when he was the instigator.

That's an awfully funny mental image though bush... 3 am, in your boxers (more or less), sluggin' a guy in the mouth and haulin' *** down the sidewalk with speakers in hand just to go home and grab a gun.

DAMN I LOVE THE USA!!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2007 | 07:43 PM

I think you will be fine. There is a law called defense of property which allows you to go after people as long as it happens immediately after it was stolen as is the case here. I would testify.

Old 01-08-2007 | 07:48 PM
|

That's an awfully funny mental image though bush... 3 am, in your boxers (more or less), sluggin' a guy in the mouth and haulin' *** down the sidewalk with speakers in hand just to go home and grab a gun.
Oh I'm sure it looked funny as hell...

If it were me, i prolly wouldnt. I pretty sure a good old fashioned *** beatin woulda been plenty enought justice for me.
That was kinda my thought and I got all my stuff back already, plus if he wanted to retalliate I'm here waiting, I'm not too worried about that.

I just really dont like the court system stuff, I'm still unsure whetherto go or not. If I dont go can they issue a warrant for my arrest? God I hope not. Thank you all for the good advise

Old 01-08-2007 | 08:05 PM

If it was me, I would go testify. Sure you busted his ***, but you're gonna leave him on the street to do it to someone else if you don't got to court. The nexttime, he might bring a gun with him so he doesn't get knocked out again. The next guy that catches him red handed might not be as fortunate as you.

You can't prevent him from doing this again, but by golly I would make it as hard on him as I possibly could. Maybe it'll wake his *** up, maybe not. But at least you would know that you did everything you could.

The only thing I would do is make sure the judge understands you were in fear of bodily harm.

Quick Reply: Got to testify