Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Got a question about a guitar...

Old 02-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a question about a guitar...

Alright... So I've decided I want to sell a guitar I've owned and kept in great condition, with the intentions of learning more than I have... for well, almost 10 years. (It's a tool far above my ability) I've changed the strings several times (probably never needed it) Kept it in it's padded storage thing when not in use... and if I didn't plan on playing it for more than a month I even loosened the strings to keep pressure off the neck.

So here's my question... if I'm going to throw it up on something like craig's list or e-bay or something... I'd like to get an idea of what it's worth. Anyboy have some good ideas of where I could find out the "worth" of a used guitar (electric)?

I know how much I paid for it, and how much I'd like to see come back to me... but I don't have near the knowledge in this area to know if I'm wishing for the stars (like some civic owners I've seen around craigs list), or if I'm handing over something like a diamond at a plastic-toy's cost. Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Default RE: Got a question about a guitar...

Make and Model?

Old 02-16-2008, 09:29 PM

I've owned lots of 'em. If you check eBay for similar items you'll get an idea of what the market calls for, then price accordingly. Or better yet, go to the local music store and get it appraised. If they're not busy , they'll give you a ballpark price for free.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:33 PM

Well... I'll give as much info as I know about it...

Signature Series - George Washburn
Stephens Extended Cutaway

Here's a picture (a few years old, but it's in the same exact condition, the "whammy bar" isn't on it in this picture though)

I've looked around for some... but I have a HELL of an issue finding more like it. I don't know if it was rare or what... I got it in a wierd story as was. I took it into a shop for an apraisal, but the guy could only "guess" because it didn't show up as an exact match in his books (at a guitar center). Though... one of the "old school" guys in the back thought it was "kick ***" and "remembered when they first came out with those"... and since I own one, I fully believe they exist.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:41 PM

Oh... some more info that may or may not help...

It's got active pickups, solid-one piece frame (neck and body are the same piece), String locks, and a true "floating" Tremolo. (I can't remember it's proper name right now... I just remember the guy I got it from thought it was a big deal, and some people think it's a big pain in the butt. Tuning sure takes a long time)

Old 02-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Retired Moderator

Post up some pics (and like Viz said...what is the make and model...I guess we will be able to tell from the pics). Guitars hold value like a cullender, and I don't think you will get nearly what you want out of it. I have tried to sell one of my guitars before, and from the responses, it was worth more for me to keep it collecting dust in my garage. You have to consider featurs of the guitar too: what kind of pick-ups, what kind of wood is it made out of, where was it made, etc. As far as a value for the guitar, check out Ebay for a consensus. That will give you an idea of what the guitars like yours are going for. I am a guitar snob, and have just had one custom made last year. I hope I can help you out. For what it is worth, here is mynumber one (Bonedaddy)that I paid 2K for brand new:

Name:  BoneDaddyResize1.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  BoneDaddyResize2.jpg
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  BoneDaddyResize3.jpg
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  BoneDaddyResize4.jpg
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  BoneDaddyResize5.jpg
Size:  92.2 KB

SwampAsh body, Birdseye Maple neck, Ebony fretboard with custom skull and crossbone inlay, jumbo stainless steel frets, Kinman no noise "Woodstock" pick-ups, gold hardware,custom Jimi Hendrix neck plate, custom mid range boost tone ****, Hipshot bridge (also in gold)with tremolo, etc, etc, etc. I could probably only fetch about $1000-$1200 for this guitar if I tried to sell it. Unless you havethe classic of the classic, you will not get much in return. PM me if I can help further, I willalso continue to post on this thread. Hope it helps...

Old 02-16-2008, 09:52 PM

Well, Thanks Voodoo. Must have caught you while you were typing, cause I've got some more information and a picture up. I'll go find the camera and take a few more of the back and that kinda thing. Maybe that will help.

To say again, here's what I know...

[ul][*]It's got active pickups. (stamped "Washburn", Battery plugs in the back behind a little door)[*]Solid-one piece frame (neck and body are the same piece)[*]String locks[*]A "floating" Tremolo. "Floyd Rose"[*]I have no idea what it's made out of.[/ul]I know I might not just get a ton... but I'm not thinking much. I just want to see if someone throws a figure my way to see if I'm crazy, one way or the other.... that has some knowledge about these things.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:46 AM

Seriously, not trying to be funny with you--$80 at best from a guitar store, maybe $200 on eBay...and that is best case scenario. The "Hair rock" Washburns aren't rare, and are definitely not desirable to most guitar folks. Not trying to come off like a dick, but that's the most honest answer I can give you.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Retired Moderator

Yeah, I'd say $150-$200 max.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:11 PM

Fair enough, and that's all I was lookin' for. Appreciate it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got a question about a guitar...