Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

got put in my place

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:25 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: got put in my place

^^ After reading the book, you should take his class. The California Superbike School is amazing. I took the level I course at Laguna Seca and DAMN does he know his stuff. Walked away with with invaluable riding techniques and skills. It kind of slaps you in the face of how much you previously didn't know about riding.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: pitbull#1

ORIGINAL: NY Erion929

^^ Hang off that bitch and COUNTER STEER!!!!
i try i just am a little scared of highsiding or falling off or something
fear is deff. a big part of yourproblem, you can't ride to your best if your afraid of riding your best lol

however im not saying to push your limits, just if you mentally turn your fear into excitment your reflexes and riding technique will drastically change

Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 AM

Trust your tires, after they're warmed up, you'll be surprised at the lean angles you get. Suspension is a big factor though, you must at least set you sag properly, then you can tweak it to your needs. And as all said before, look through the turn... keep your eyes moving and never target fixate.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

^^ After reading the book, you should take his class.
i did T.E.A.M. Arizona's beginer class last summer, this summer im taking their advanced class, and next summer i want to take that class!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Banned

but i want to lean off my bike
Maybe you were starting the turn by leaning rather that pushing the bar. the difference could be 40 or 50 feet of forward motion and that could have put you wide.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: pitbull#1

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

When I went to the Superbike School, I couldn't figure out why I was doing so well on the corners by myself, but when I had to follow the track coach through the corners, it didn't feel right and I always went wide, missing the apex. Then my track coach said that when I was by myself, I was looking through the corner and carving out my own line. He said that just about everyone has a tendency to look at the rider ahead of them instead of looking through the corner and making their own line through the corner.

So, we went back out onto Laguna Seca for a few more laps of practice, and wouldn't you know it, I caught myself doing it again. So everytime I came to a corner, I would just tell myself to look through, and problem solved. The awkward feel and missing the apex went away and didn't have anymore problems with it since.

Do you think you were looking at the rider ahead of you, and not through the corner? Or in better terms, do you remember how the rider ahead of you took the corner? If you do, you were watching him, not looking through the corner.
yeah i watched him for a split second but i dont think it mattered anyway because i dont lean like im supposed to. i still have an inch of chicken strips on my tire and i wont to lose them
my chicken strips are down to about 1/4 in or maybe smaller and the way i got rid of them is that there is a series of about 5 nice smooth curves and a quick S curve that shifts down hill at the same time, all on one road. me and my buddy go out there ( i only lean hard when its like 3 or less of us ) but i hit the first 2 curves that are 25 mph curves about about 55 or 60 and lean and accelerate through leaving it at about 65-75 range. i know the first two corners very well and i feel very comfortable on them. of course, sand/debris can get in the way so if ur nervous just ride through a series of curves that ur comfortable with slowly the first time, then come back and do them the other way. the leaning and countersteering is a way to get rid of ur chicken strips, but it just kinda seems like a poser type move so i would rather just have chicken strips than pretend that i know how to lean.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pitbull, I am going to be out of town starting Friday through monday But I would be more than happy to meet up with you sometime. I live in marshall. I don't ever have anyone to ride with. Let me know if you want to go sometime Sunday- wensdays I am free in the afternoon. There is a road here that is about 1/2 mile long goes to nowhere and has a few curves on it and has a circle at the end. Thats how I got used to cornering. PM me or send me an Email at ToddDay@Eaton.com

Old 06-03-2008, 03:06 PM

Im not going to read through all of these posts. but.......

you alreadyrealize that you almost killed yourself, ora family coming around the corner. let that sink in for a minute.
you want to change that...good.

We cannot even begin to accurately tell you what you did wrong on that corner. this is not a put down, but you dont even know enough to start telling
us what you did and didnt do(other than put your foot down--which you should never do, good way to break an ankle/leg)

so, lets start here:

you need to first read everything you can get your hands on

Lee Parks "total control" is great for new riders
then move up to Nick I "sport bike riding techniques"
then move on to the Code books trilogy of twist of the wrist"

then, once you can atleast converse and know enough to know what your not getting, then spend a little $$ and go to a track day school.you could do a full blown school like Code, Schwantz, Pridmore, etc. Or even signing up for novice at a track day usually comes with a whole day of class room on and on track instructions.

then, after you have done all that, you could take that corner as fast as you want. although, by that time, you will know that you really dont want to take that corner fast becuase you could kill yourself or someone else.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 PM

I have noticed that it's never good to try to ride like someone else. My main rideing buddy is crazy as hell. he take cures and turns way low and rides fast wheelies. I am not comfortable doing that stuff most of the time. I just tel myself that him and I are not in a comp with each other, but out to have fun-his fun is just more crazy.

Always ride at your pace and remember that no one care about your chicken strips, but you.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Bumble Bee

I have noticed that it's never good to try to ride like someone else. My main rideing buddy is crazy as hell. he take cures and turns way low and rides fast wheelies. I am not comfortable doing that stuff most of the time. I just tel myself that him and I are not in a comp with each other, but out to have fun-his fun is just more crazy.

Always ride at your pace and remember that no one care about your chicken strips, but you.
In all seriousness, find a new riding buddy. he is going to get you hurt