Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Cant sleep, advice welcome....UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant sleep, advice welcome....UPDATED

So i have to go to court tomorrow. My best friend and his wife were killed by a drunk driver last August. His wife's brother whom i have become friends with asked me to go the sentencing tomorrow morning, and although i really dont want to i agreed to go. I guess they figured the more people that were there the more pressure the judge would feel. I dont know, all i know is i am going to be sitting 20 feet from the guy that took away my best friends and i have no idea how i am not going to sit down and not kill this man with my bare hands. I cant stop thinking about it, and i cant seem to calm my rage as this approaches. Maybe i should just stay home so i dont make a scene, or just try to swallow it all down deep inside and be supportive. I just dont know what to do, and i know there is no simple answer.............i guess i didnt need to post this............just frustrated.........angry........hateful........... ..and not sleeping, so............

Just wanted to say thanks for all the kind words and support. So to update, this was the guy's 4th dui, he tried to flee the scene, killed 2 people, and only got 25 years. So with good behavior he will be out in what 20? I am SO F***IN pissed right now. But now i have something to live for, cause when that sob gets out he is gonna be looking right at me!!!!!!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Default RE: Cant sleep, advice welcome

Sorry to hear about that. I lost my best friend this past winter in a car accident too. Just go, help make sure that man goes away for a long time.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:07 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

man Im really sorry TK, I hope everything went as well as can be expected today...

Old 06-03-2008, 04:13 AM

Hope everything goes good for you. Had to go to court to testify against a drunk driver who hit myself and 2 sisters, one of whom was pregnant at the time, then tried running from the scene. Like didn't even slow down trying to run. He was doing 80 or so when he went in between our 2 cars, and blew the tire out of my sisters truck, sending them into the ditch. I ran that motherFer down, followed him to his house. It was hard to not just beat the crap out of him right then and there. Hope everything goes well

Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Registered Users

TK....definitely go...legally speaking...the more presence you have, the more pressure the judge will feel...that is a known legal tactic...

as for maintaining control, i wish i could give you some sort of advice but i have never been in that situation and can't imagine what it would be like......my only thought would be to maintain composure....i am sure your friend doesn't want you in jail or in trouble because of this guy....just let him get sent away for a very long time....you intervening won't help...but being there....for the judge and for the friends and family there will be the best thing...

good luck bud...my thoughts are with you...

Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only advise I could give is to stay calm. I've been in that situation before with a selfish, puss-sucking parasite of a drunk driver who killed a very good friend of mine. Staying as calm as possible in the court room is a must. Judges don't like it when people speak out of order, and acting out against this guy will only work against your party's case. I will admit though, I'm a very forgiving and sensitive person when it comes to others. Even though the mere memory of looking at him enrages me to the fullest, I can honestly say that I was sympathetic when he was sentenced and having to see his wife and children cry as they took him away for the next 20 years.

So one part of me feels bad for the drunk driver, but a whole lot more of me feels enraged of what he did. I can honestly say that anytime I see someone who has been drinking get into a car, I'll do anything (including backing my car and blocking him into a parking space) to keep them from getting on the road drunk (as should anybody). Needless to say, I know many of the officers and 911 dispatch team by name now.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:54 AM

Damn TK, sorry to hear about all this so late. I can see where your comming from and I don't blame you one bit for wanting to tear that POS apart, but the best you can do is show your part to the judge to convince him that the defandant ruined more that just two lives.

It's a tuff situation, and I can see where it would be hard to get it off your mind to sleep, but by the time your read this, I hope you caught a few hours of down time. My initial answer to this was going to be go hit some wild turkey for a while and you'll be out like a baby. But after realizing your situation, that's far from what you should do.

Next best thing would be go to a buffet and eat yourself so full that you'd get the ol' Turkey day effect LOL. Well, I hope it smoothes out for ya, as it will. Best of luck bro!

~Adam

Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 AM

Jump on that ****er and let some aggression out.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:21 AM

sorry to hear that. You should go, just to support your friends brother, the rest of his family members, and his friends.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Hope you went all the guy got sent away. Since this was your best friend it would help for sure to get a little more closure as to an event that no doubt you will remember for the rest of your life. Support the family and show that you really were a best friend.

Quick Reply: Cant sleep, advice welcome....UPDATED