Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Got pulled over & searched

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007 | 12:56 AM
Default RE: Got pulled over & searched

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Then to top it off you become a smartass.
Try a little tact next time. A mans true character is displayed not when adversity is absent, but during it's presence.
Maby you missed when I said
"I was polite to the point of nausea" I ALWAYS treat cops with the upmost respect untill they cross the line and try to bully me around. I know the "when was the last time" line was outa place, but by that time I was so fed up I wanted to beat him with my helmet. It is a clear case of abuse of athority. And audi is right. I have no military decals on my truck, have long hair, never talk aobut my time served,and generouly try to ignore the fact that I was ever in the army. I was just trying to explain that I'm a good person and have served.. I expect no favors for my time but when someone questions my integrity it really pisses me off. I wont even steal nuts & Bolts from the hanger I work at, (MMMM titanium galore!!!). He already ran my License and Checked out my insurance, that also had my other 2 bikes on it. For that I got a " Are you a collector or just aquried all these bikes" comment in a smat *** tone. The wrong Id was actually a credit card w/ my picture on it. The directions had MAPQUEST in big leters printed on it. So I looked like a dealer and your glad he did his job? Maby next time your house will "fit the profile" and they'll come knocking on your door! When did we give up ou cival liberties in the name of "safety"? Now maby they'll start doing some sweet racial profiling action to huh? Comone man... "Looking like trouble" is NOT JUST CAUSE!!!! I might look funny and "bad" but I feel it's my right to wear what I want. You have 55 year old yuppies wearing "skull" and "show me your tit's" "ride till you die" t-shirts on harly's but I wanna wear a backpack and put some band patches on my jacket and I'm a trafficker? He smelled the small can of plexus in my chest pocket and asked "whats this for" like it's a Fu++ing crack vile! then the bottle of rainex in my bag! When he pulled out my extra clear visor and I said it's in case I get caught after dark, he said "I don't see how this has anything to do with helping you out at night" and actually stared @ me and waited for an explination! Then he made me explain to him why I was wearing a jackiet on such a hot day! after that it was 20 questions about my alpinestar smx-4 boots! Like they were some sorta drug running giviway!!! No, sorry man. I usually have the upmost respect for smokie, may not like him around me but hey, he's a stickler for the rules. Kinda like when you were a teenager and mom was around, ya know? But do respect him, but this was total B.S.!!!

By the way Kidcr3, Iwas riding a ducati monster . not many farings on a naked bike!

EDIT: Just fixing your quote tag.

Old 05-14-2007 | 01:10 AM

Regardless of what you hear,i have seen many abuse's of power on both sides of the Fence.Next time you may not be lucky with a Cop with an attitude,and i Agree "Let'em" search and then be on your way.Also to many @sshole's on sportbike's make it worse for the law abiding peeps.Go slow Bro and keep it safe
P.S. I just had an incident last week with an overbearing cop.He found nothing wrong,Inconvienced me an x-tra 30 min but hey that's life.SCREW-EM and be safe....

Old 05-14-2007 | 02:00 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

joker i love your siggy ! i dare to say its better then txmorgans

Old 05-14-2007 | 02:10 AM

cops wish they could get half the respect of our men in the forces who are real heroes

Old 05-14-2007 | 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: DRam

From what you relate it sounds like a LEO doing his job. You passed with expired tags, plate not visible, had direction taped to your tank, going to stay for just a short time - you matched a profile pretty well. Be glad the LEO was on his toes. The next one he pulls over might be running drugs or riding a stolen bike.

I'm glad you made it back stateside safe, Although I don't agree withthe war in Iraq, I have nothing but admiration and prayersfor those fighting there.
I understand what you are saying, and I understand profiling, but we have a saying that goes something like, "Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law." despite if someone LOOKS like a criminal, does not mean that they are, and they certainly should not be treated like one until the LEO actually has probably cause or evidence. after checking everything out, they should have let it be.

the fact that he had directions from MAPQUEST by no means should suggest trafficking. I use mapquest all the time along with the other millions of people who do daily, and i assure you, i dont use it to find directions to a crack house.

[quote]ORIGINAL: bornluckee13

Then to top it off you become a smartass.
Try a little tact next time. A mans true character is displayed not when adversity is absent, but during it's presence.
Maby you missed when I said
"I was polite to the point of nausea" I ALWAYS treat cops with the upmost respect untill they cross the line and try to bully me around. I know the "when was the last time" line was outa place, but by that time I was so fed up I wanted to beat him with my helmet. It is a clear case of abuse of athority. And audi is right. I have no military decals on my truck, have long hair, never talk aobut my time served,and generouly try to ignore the fact that I was ever in the army. I was just trying to explain that I'm a good person and have served.. I expect no favors for my time but when someone questions my integrity it really pisses me off. I wont even steal nuts & Bolts from the hanger I work at, (MMMM titanium galore!!!). He already ran my License and Checked out my insurance, that also had my other 2 bikes on it. For that I got a " Are you a collector or just aquried all these bikes" comment in a smat *** tone. The wrong Id was actually a credit card w/ my picture on it. The directions had MAPQUEST in big leters printed on it. So I looked like a dealer and your glad he did his job? Maby next time your house will "fit the profile" and they'll come knocking on your door! When did we give up ou cival liberties in the name of "safety"? Now maby they'll start doing some sweet racial profiling action to huh? Comone man... "Looking like trouble" is NOT JUST CAUSE!!!! I might look funny and "bad" but I feel it's my right to wear what I want. You have 55 year old yuppies wearing "skull" and "show me your tit's" "ride till you die" t-shirts on harly's but I wanna wear a backpack and put some band patches on my jacket and I'm a trafficker? He smelled the small can of plexus in my chest pocket and asked "whats this for" like it's a Fu++ing crack vile! then the bottle of rainex in my bag! When he pulled out my extra clear visor and I said it's in case I get caught after dark, he said "I don't see how this has anything to do with helping you out at night" and actually stared @ me and waited for an explination! Then he made me explain to him why I was wearing a jackiet on such a hot day! after that it was 20 questions about my alpinestar smx-4 boots! Like they were some sorta drug running giviway!!! No, sorry man. I usually have the upmost respect for smokie, may not like him around me but hey, he's a stickler for the rules. Kinda like when you were a teenager and mom was around, ya know? But do respect him, but thi

Old 05-14-2007 | 04:34 AM

ORIGINAL: DRam

From what you relate it sounds like a LEO doing his job. You passed with expired tags, plate not visible, had direction taped to your tank, going to stay for just a short time - you matched a profile pretty well. Be glad the LEO was on his toes. The next one he pulls over might be running drugs or riding a stolen bike.

I'm glad you made it back stateside safe, Although I don't agree withthe war in Iraq, I have nothing but admiration and prayersfor those fighting there.
Huh?! If Im driving my truck some where and I have directions printed out and sitting on the passenger seat, does that mean Im driving a stolen car or running drugs? Taping directions on your tank is a smart idea and does not make you match any profile.

I was pulled over in my subaru a little while after I bought it (28mph in a 25mph). It still had the the dealer tags in the rear window, and they were expired too. The cop asked why I didnt have my plates yet? And I told him I have not got them in the mail yet from the dealership. He then told me to be sure to put them on when I did get them. He didnt mention it being ticketable offense. And I dont see how they could. When you buy a bike or car licensing is included.

Old 05-14-2007 | 06:01 AM

Oh and uh, for you other smartasses who think you'll play smart-guy and tell them to **** off without a warrant... go ahead.

In the lower 48 states a citizen may deny search of property without a warrant but the officer retains discretion over the situation. Tell him no. He can tell you fine, kick ricks with your helmet in your hand. All he has to do have probable cause, which can be obtained in various avenues, to beleive the vehicle has been, or will be involved in the commission of a crime. Then you get to walk home.

So if you have nothing to hide, and have done your best to be an upstanding citizen, by all means, deny them permission, but you'd better be damn well sure they're just being an *** and have no real reason to search it... cause you'll be hoofin' it. Knock yourself out.

How do are you able to tell if your vehicle has been or will be invovled in a commision of a crime...Whats that movie with Tom cruise in it about commiting crimes in the future.. I guess that has already started. This reminds me of one time i just bought my car it was the first day i got it was driving it 2 hours to see my girl and i guess i drifted over the white line on a 4 lane highway... So i get pulled over by 3 police cars the first one issues me a warning about unsafe driving Bs. the second one was a Sheriff with a K-9 drug dog or so they told me they asked to search and i said no. So they asked if i had any drugs in the vehicle i said no. He took the dog around and asked if i was sure because he said the dog smelled weed in the car... I geuss dogs talk now. So i laugh at him and then he says you better watch who your friends are because someone has been in your car that has smoked weed, again i laugh and i ask to leave and drive away.

Old 05-14-2007 | 06:43 AM

ORIGINAL: rrasco
as a LEO you know they see bike accidents involving riders with and w/o gear, they of most other non-riders should know and promote the use of gear, not discourage it. sounds like you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

oh yeah, was this a Texas State Trooper? im assuming you are in TX from txn_driver's comment?
KC is a LEO...?

That's...not surprising.

Old 05-14-2007 | 08:26 AM

Just wanted to add my two cents.

The cop was obviously in the wrong and just wanted to hassle you. First thing you should have done when they asked to search you is said "I don't consent to any searches". That would force them to have to get a warrant and they normally don't want to have to do that. Repeatedly ask if you're being detained and (if they say no or don't answer the question) ask if you're free to go. If they say "yes" ask on what charges and pay close attention to what they say. Always take good mental notes (and written if you can) in case you have to defend yourself in court. Never voluntarily offer any information and always respond honestly and respectfully to any question with ONLY relevant information.

Just some helpful information. If you think they're just hassling you, force them to do their job by excercising your rights and only giving direct answers to direct questions. If you get arrested, remain silent until you can talk to a lawyer, even if they don't read you your rights (but take note whether or not they do).

Old 05-14-2007 | 12:29 PM

Oh and uh, for you other smartasses who think you'll play smart-guy and tell them to **** off without a warrant... go ahead.

In the lower 48 states a citizen may deny search of property without a warrant but the officer retains discretion over the situation. Tell him no. He can tell you fine, kick ricks with your helmet in your hand. All he has to do have probable cause, which can be obtained in various avenues, to beleive the vehicle has been, or will be involved in the commission of a crime. Then you get to walk home.

So if you have nothing to hide, and have done your best to be an upstanding citizen, by all means, deny them permission, but you'd better be damn well sure they're just being an *** and have no real reason to search it... cause you'll be hoofin' it. Knock yourself out.

My Uncle was a Las Vegas Metro Cop and is now a cop somewhere in southern Washington. He even told me, “If they ever want to search your car tell them no. Make them get work for it and get a warrant.” Getting pulled over for minor offenses is not probable cause for them to search your car.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over & searched