Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Got pulled over & searched

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007 | 12:23 PM
Default RE: Got pulled over & searched

ORIGINAL: SchiraF4I

i would have told them no about searching if you didnt have expired tags, and made them get a warrent
Me too. I would neve let a cop search my car. Its just a matter of principle. The 4th amendment exists for a reason.

Old 05-13-2007 | 12:58 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)

From what you relate it sounds like a LEO doing his job. You passed with expired tags, plate not visible, had direction taped to your tank, going to stay for just a short time - you matched a profile pretty well. Be glad the LEO was on his toes. The next one he pulls over might be running drugs or riding a stolen bike.

I'm glad you made it back stateside safe, Although I don't agree withthe war in Iraq, I have nothing but admiration and prayersfor those fighting there.

Old 05-13-2007 | 01:41 PM
Registered Users

ORIGINAL: Balamien

Thats an easy question to answer, they lay their life on the line everyday they go to work. Why do you think cops wear bullet resistant vests? Its not for kicks and giggles I assure you. As with the miliarty, how many jobs do you go to where you aren't sure if you'll be going home alive by the end of your shift. ........
Edit:
I completely forgot that part. Yeah...you could have gotten a ticket and had the bike impounded as worse case scenario. I'd definately take my luck and go on with things
True to infinity. To the original poster, most of us in the service have all done our time in this war, and many others before it (Desert Storm, Bosnia, Iraq). It doesn't make us any better or worse than anyone else, and as a good friend once told me, the ones that try to brag about what they did or use their service as a crutch probably didn't do much at all. Not to say you didn't, but that's something you may want to think about the next time you try and use your service history to get out of.... Police officers watch the homefront while we're away, and they deserve nothing less than our gratitude and respect because they volunteered, just as we did, for an oft thankless job. Considering you had multiple violations, I'd say be thankful you aren't contemplating the errors of your ways behind a set of shiny bars....could have easily ended up that way, not to mention if you were on base/post the SPs would have probably hemmed your *ss up pretty good.

Thanks for your service and welcome home.

~Steph

Old 05-13-2007 | 02:00 PM

typical cop crap... sorry to hear about that man, but glad you put him in his place with the military history!

Old 05-13-2007 | 02:05 PM
Retired Moderator

Well said Steph.

Old 05-13-2007 | 02:11 PM

Good for you....I hate abuse of authority....

Old 05-13-2007 | 02:13 PM

Well said.........+1
ORIGINAL: stephygee

ORIGINAL: Balamien

Thats an easy question to answer, they lay their life on the line everyday they go to work. Why do you think cops wear bullet resistant vests? Its not for kicks and giggles I assure you. As with the miliarty, how many jobs do you go to where you aren't sure if you'll be going home alive by the end of your shift. ........
Edit:
I completely forgot that part. Yeah...you could have gotten a ticket and had the bike impounded as worse case scenario. I'd definately take my luck and go on with things
True to infinity. To the original poster, most of us in the service have all done our time in this war, and many others before it (Desert Storm, Bosnia, Iraq). It doesn't make us any better or worse than anyone else, and as a good friend once told me, the ones that try to brag about what they did or use their service as a crutch probably didn't do much at all. Not to say you didn't, but that's something you may want to think about the next time you try and use your service history to get out of.... Police officers watch the homefront while we're away, and they deserve nothing less than our gratitude and respect because they volunteered, just as we did, for an oft thankless job. Considering you had multiple violations, I'd say be thankful you aren't contemplating the errors of your ways behind a set of shiny bars....could have easily ended up that way, not to mention if you were on base/post the SPs would have probably hemmed your *ss up pretty good.

Thanks for your service and welcome home.

~Steph

Old 05-13-2007 | 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: pitsvtec

Good for you....I hate abuse of authority....
neither of us was talking about abuse of authority, and im sure hes just like me as well, I dont ask for military discounts, I dont act like im in the military, I get asked stupid questions all the time about gore and blood, and I always just joke and say I saw nothin etc...The only time I talk about Iraq or elsewhere including the states is about funny times like running flat out into things etc, u know, what we were both saying was, we were both wrongly hassled and the officers attacked our integrity and our reputations (well self perceived) and doing like any of us would, "look I've done my time" "dont sit back and say im some **** bag and threaten me"....etc etc, this trooper had pulled me over just to hassle me about my bike and how I was gonna die etc and then outta the blue threatened that "if i dont show up for court there going to come onto base and arrest you"...out of no where, no one is going to throw that accusatory tone at me when i thought I was doing nothing wrong, any self respecting person would say I'm no dirtbag dont talk to me like that...god i hadn't even had time to sign my DD 214 when that happened, not till the next day, and It was obvious she had pulled me over to harrass me not write tickets.

Old 05-13-2007 | 11:47 PM
Banned

Man - no offense, but serving your country doesn't mean you get a free pass at every questionable moment. And if you haven't read the papers lately, in most every major city with 2-3 suburbs within 50 miles there have been a huge spike in drug trafficking. The majority of offenders are caught either by themselves, or with a single other rider. They carry backpacks for diversion and stuff the dope in the fairings.

If I had made the stop and you goofed and handed me another ID and pulled it back, put it away and handed me another, I'd be suspicious as well. Then to top it off you become a smartass. Thanks for that, I'm sure we're all happy to know that there's just one more cop out there who has had help in the assumption that all sportbike riders are smartass punks.

Try a little tact next time. A mans true character is displayed not when adversity is absent, but during it's presence.

Old 05-13-2007 | 11:52 PM
Banned

Oh and uh, for you other smartasses who think you'll play smart-guy and tell them to **** off without a warrant... go ahead.

In the lower 48 states a citizen may deny search of property without a warrant but the officer retains discretion over the situation. Tell him no. He can tell you fine, kick ricks with your helmet in your hand. All he has to do have probable cause, which can be obtained in various avenues, to beleive the vehicle has been, or will be involved in the commission of a crime. Then you get to walk home.

So if you have nothing to hide, and have done your best to be an upstanding citizen, by all means, deny them permission, but you'd better be damn well sure they're just being an *** and have no real reason to search it... cause you'll be hoofin' it. Knock yourself out.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over & searched