Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Good cold-weather gear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good cold-weather gear?

so we're still in the middle of the warm-weather months here in northwest Texas, but it won't be long now and we'll be back in the 20s and 30s and i still plan to ride my bike to work. i only started riding this past spring so i have no experience with cold weather riding or gear to keep me warm. my commute is only about 15 minutes on the highway, but i imagine it can get pretty damn cold without the right gear. any recommendations? the jacket i have right now is an AGV-Sport "air-flow" type jacket with little pin-size holes everywhere to allow air through, so i know i'll need a new jacket, and probably some better gloves (the ones i have now are the "air flow" type as well). anyone with experience riding in the cold, i'd appreciate any pointers or advice you have on gear. i've found several jackets with removable liners, i'm just not sure if they're made for cool weather or cold (30s and below) weather.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Default RE: Good cold-weather gear?

Get a jacket thats a little big so you can wear a thermal or fleece under it. as far as gloves, I have a pair leather gauntlet gloves w/ thinsulate lining that work great. Can't remeber what brand they are and their in the attic.. Remeber, any and all zippers for pockets, vents, ect ect, cold air will come through! leather is the best but you need a lining and room to stuff a fleece or sweater. layers are the key! i have an Icon "tough arms" jacket for my winter, it's ok, but has zipperd vents that are COLD! I want a full leather just saving up the dough! good luck man!

Old 08-18-2007, 02:36 PM

Dude I ride nude in the winter. Nothing like having frost on the *****.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:39 PM

You dont want it too big or air will get in around your waist. First Gear has a nice thick jacket I might get.

Thermals under your shirt is the only way to go. [sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Old 08-18-2007, 07:06 PM

I'd recommend getting military liners - black or green - at your local surplus / pawn shop. They're pretty warm.

Like RangerScott says, butt naked - and a military liner works wonders.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:42 PM

One word: Gerbing's!

http://www.gerbing.com/

Old 08-18-2007, 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: OldFatGuy

One word: Gerbing's!

http://www.gerbing.com/

Dang RMR. It dont get that cold in Tejas. If you buy these I'll drive in front of you and pour ice water on ya.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:00 PM

for the experiences, I remember last season riding from my parents house back to my apartment 40 mins away in mid 30 degree weather and literally going hypothermic. I thought i would never regain feeling in my fingers. i was wearing jeans, summer gloves with carbon fiber knuckles, and a leather jacket. luckily after that it started to quickly warm up and I have only kept it at the back of my mind since.

Since then I have researched and talked with my parents. They agreed that they would buy my boots, a one piece, and gaunlets as a pre college graduation present for my last year in college. This is also becuase I no longer have my apartment and will be communting from my parents to college everyday.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:02 PM

i also just looked at the gerbings website. i like the look of that.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:43 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

When its really cold i wear my snowmobile jacket / snowboarding jacket, and thermals under a Dickies pants. I have ridden up to 20 below zero and barely notice. The big key is making sure you have no exposed skin or air leaks, you will know very quickly if you do.

Quick Reply: Good cold-weather gear?