Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Good beer

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magic Hat Number 9 is very sweet... it's actually too sweet for me to drink and only has a bit of bitter to it. I prefer Guinness to any other alcoholic drink and it has a bit of a bitter chocolate flavor to it so long as your let it aerate... give it a go at a bar that knows how to pour a Guinness.

If you're looking for a drink to hold onto at a bar and you don't like beer, try some mixers. Jack n' Coke (or ginger ale) or a Gin n' Tonic are easy on the taste buds and go down smooth. If those are too harsh, I recommend a shirley temple or cosmopolitan. :P

Old 08-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam Adams Octoberfest is on shelves right now - I wait for it each year.

Anything by New Belgium.

Here's a good rule of thumb - If it is in a clear or green bottle - it's going to taste like **** unless freezing cold (Corona), or be skunky (Like Heineken). Dark bottles block light, and light breaks down beer.

I've found I can't turn people that just like to chug beer @ a bar on to microbrews - typically cause chugging beer like Bud/Coors/Miller just don't have the particular taste qualities that a well-brewed non-lager or non-pilsener style beer have.

Plus many micro-brew beers are 5-9% alcohol, so chugging them is a) expensive and b) intoxicating.

Guinness is better closer to room temp than freezing cold. It is also great in a black & tan (half Guinness and half harp lager)

A good intro to darker beer that most people can find is Michelob Amber Bock, or Shiner Bock.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how anyone can drink American Lager.

I ONLY drink from the Oldest Brewery in the world(1040 A.D.) Weihenstephaner Hefe-Weiss in Bavaria. Damn, it is good $h!t.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by raylee
Magic Hat Number 9 is very sweet... it's actually too sweet for me to drink and only has a bit of bitter to it.
Agreed. I've had it - but wasn't what others have cracked it up to be. What I find is I have a lot of friends that are all about IPA's and hops, while I gravitate toward bitters, bocks and ales like you mention about Guinness - I've got a nice Irish pub in my little podunk town that is the most popular bar around, and only keeps 3 beers on tap - Guinness, Harp and right now they have Smithwicks on tap, which a couple of New Orleans beers on micro kegs.

Dogfish Head's 90 minute is the exception as far as IPA's I've tried though.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great info guys. I know that I will eventually find one, but there are just so many different ones out there. Thanks for all the input.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:18 PM

Sleeman... i had it, fell in love

Old 08-29-2011, 05:08 AM

Personally I love Yeungling Amber Lager and Yeungling Black and Tan. Red stripe is pretty good too but it's got a bit of a fruity taste too it.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:06 AM

If you are just looking for a "malted beverage" you could go with Smirnoff. They have lots of flavors...but all seem based off something that resembles hardened 7up.

My best advice, is if you want to kick back a few beers with friends...find one you like, but that means try a bunch of different ones. after you start to find ones you like, start over again, as you may come to like the ones you tried originally and didn't like. And then, like already mentioned, you'll find out that the best beer is the one someone else bought you!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:54 PM

Newcastle for the win. Love it, can't get enough of it.

When I first started drinking beer I drank a lot of Sam Adam's, Bass, Sierra Nevada.

Some other decents are Widmar Brother's Hefenweizen, Shock Top, and Fat Tire.

mmm. beer. goddamn work, I could be at home drinking right now.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Banned

Blue moon

Quick Reply: Good beer