Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Getting by for a year...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting by for a year...

Well, after a two year trek around Korea I'm finally back the US. I've got some money saved, but I want to keep it saved for a bit. I'm gonna take a year off to help my parents and just get by until I make a solid decision on my future (job, return to korea, etc.)

So I'm currently in the market for a temporary job as well as a cheap and reliable bike. Honda spells reliability so I figure I'll take a hand at trying to dig up a Honda. I'm in the NJ area.

Lot of you guys have life experiences that might help me out so any feedback for what you'd do in my position as far as looking for a temporary job and a cheap bike would be of great help. I'd like to spend around $3-4k on a bike.. I could push a bit over $4k, but I'd rather not.

BTW, I could try and just do a part-time gig at a local best buy or whatever, but I'm hoping there might be some better options out there. Unfortunately, most of my work experience lies in my time spent teaching English in Korea which isn't very applicable to the current job market demand.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't substitute teach with the experience you received overseas?

Old 09-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ray, I'd recommend talking w/ colleges & universities in your area. Even part-timers make decent money. The Student Services depts & General Studies depts could really use you, I'd think. You might could even find yourself in an adjunct English teaching situation. The workplace is very diverse in college environments & could provide a good fit for your experience. Too, your schedule can be somewhat more flexible than a retail type gig.

As always, good luck.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray, I'd recommend talking w/ colleges & universities in your area. Even part-timers make decent money. The Student Services depts & General Studies depts could really use you, I'd think.
I think this is a great idea. Student services/admissions/etc. usually pays ok and you'd be in an environment that may lead to something else. My cousin has gotten jobs doing this before, and you'd likely be good at it. I'd check out the local high school/jr. high, too. Maybe they could use a good aide or sub?

$3-4k is plenty of money for a nice bike, btw. Heck you could get a nice F4i on the upper end of that. That's probably what I'd do.

Oh, and Welcome back!

Old 09-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$3-4k will find you a nice F4i or older 600RR!!

And thanks for your service!!!!!

Old 09-02-2010, 05:35 PM

man....just do something that you don't see yourself hating. not that work is supposed to be enjoyable, but let me tell you something that my step father told me when i started my job at the local jail. "It is a lot harder to struggle when you are unhappy." oh and if you dont mind the trip there are 929s and 900rrs up here in Maine.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:13 PM

A - Thanks for your service.

B - If you aren't looking to start a career do something fun for the year because you are young and can't get those years back. Get a summer job working at a pool, or teaching golf/tennis/soccer/basketball - something that would be a fun Monday through Friday job but wouldn't consume your life.

C - You can definitely have my F4i in that price range....