900 & + Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older models, 900 and up.

what year are my carbs? how can i tell what year they are. pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 06:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what year are my carbs? how can i tell what year they are. pics

hi there im from the uk and i have a 81 toyota starlet car running on a set of cbr 900 carbs. i need to order a set of dyno jet needles and jets for it so it can be tuned on the dyno but i need to know what year they are so i can order them.
the dyno tuner said i need a stage 3 kit.

heres a pic of the carbs

Name:  17072011329.jpg
Views: 2552
Size:  71.7 KB

do the carbs have any id or part numbers stamped into them anywhere?

any help would be much appreciated

Old 07-21-2011, 11:51 PM

First off, thats bad ***!

Ok, yes they have numbers, and I have the book. I'm trying to get Karma points so that I can magically find an engine for my fireblade soon!!!!! CHEAP!

Ok lol- Here goes-
I'll start by saying that the numbers are on the rail diagonally opposite of the choke assy. Now there are a bunch of numbers, but only a couple matter- for the most part they are 38mm Keihin- find the numbers and letters, and i'll post what the book says- in the meanwhile, I'll try and upload pictures of the pages-
I think you'll find that the number within the "extra" numbers/letters is gonna be 80B. One of my racks are California from a 96/97 and are 89A, (Which definitely yours are not, as they have none of the emission vacuum lines) and the one currently in use, is 88B Which is 49state for 96/97.
I am not thinking that the years are as important as the size, and style: 38 mm Keihin CV carbs. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2011, 05:37 AM

thanks alot for the help that would be great. i didnt get round to finding the numbers yesterday but i should get them today and post them up. thanks! good luck with the engine hunting!

also will the uk ones be the same as USA? maybe we will find out when i get the numbers.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:18 AM

right iv took them off and i cxan see a few numbers wrote on each carb all the same saying
8CA [A] MD then a symbol that looks like a number 7? is this right or have i missed something.

this number is stamped just above the float chambers

Old 07-23-2011, 01:01 PM

anyone got any ideas?? or know how i can identify them??? really need to get these parts ordered for them

Old 07-24-2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by pc18
anyone got any ideas?? or know how i can identify them??? really need to get these parts ordered for them
Thats weird- I cant find that number- here's the page photo- it sucks, but you can read it at least... Wish I could help more, but I seem to think that the 900rr jet kit will fit all of the 38 cv's- don't hold me to it though-

Attached Thumbnails what year are my carbs? how can i tell what year they are. pics-photo-11.jpg  
Old 07-24-2011, 12:34 AM

I see why you are looking for the year of the carbs, as that's how they sell the kit- they have 4 kits- 1 is ruled out, because it is deemed "for race use only", and is most likely a stage 7 kit for high rpm tune. so now you only have to choose from 3.
I would suggest calling dynojet, but if that isn't an option, I would then look at engine size- how big is the toyota engine? At 1290cc, it's considerably bigger than 919 cc so I would entertain ruling out the 92-95 kit as it was designed for the smaller of the 900rr engines (893cc). so now you only have to choose from 2.
starting to catch my drift? but yeah…. I would call dynojet.
GOOD LUCK MAN!

Last edited by exciter900rr; 07-24-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:31 AM

thats great thanks alot for taking the time to put them up. there must be some other numbers on the carbs im missing somewhere.
thanks. i think im going to give my tuner another ring and see what he says.

Last edited by pc18; 07-24-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:37 AM

how'd it turn out?

Old 08-07-2011, 04:23 PM

well after a few more calls to my tuner and another call to dyno jet and i got a helpful person this time. it turns out all the stage 1 cbr900 needles in the kits are the same they just come with different jets and other little bits and pieces which my tuner said not to bother about.
he said so long as the needles are adjustable and it comes with a few jet for him to play about with machining it will be fine.

so i ordered the 98 kit from the only dealer in my region and he did it for £8 under the rrp so i just need to go pick it up.

ive not long got back from santa pod at the drag strip. ive done almost 800 miles in my little starlet since wednesday this week! it will be nice to get back in my bed as ive been camping all week! i will keep you updated with how i get on.

Quick Reply: what year are my carbs? how can i tell what year they are. pics