Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

geez what luck..

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default geez what luck..

Well I guess my dream of owning a 2008 cbr1000rr will have to wait a while....

I was buying a 08 1000rr next week from a friend, was going to go over and take it for a spin yesterday just to make sure that was the one I wanted. I got a call from him letting me know I didnt want the bike, I immediately ask why he would say such a thing then he proceeded to tell me why... He was going to take the bike down to the station to put some gas in it before I got there to test ride it and he only made it a 1/8 mile up the street when the front end of the bike folded up under itself and threw him skidding...I rushed over to make sure he was ok and to help get the bike out of the street and back to his house. THe good part was he was ok , rashed up quite a bit but no serious injuries thank goodness. THe worst part is the bike is trashed. Everything from the neck of the frame forward is gone.... from the neck back is fine, no engine damage other than the radiator and the smushed headers, frame is untouched as well.

At this point I dont know if its worth fooling with to find a complete front end or not. Triples, forks, wheel, plastics, upper fairing mount, headlights, hand controls and every other little piece you can think of would have to be found and replaced. So my question is how much you think is a fair price for the remainder of the bike? 2008 1000rr with 9k miles , PC and leo midpipe . He was asking 4500 before this happened and I probably could have got it for 4k with a bit of cash flashing...lol Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM

personally id continue looking for another bike. unless you like alot of wrenching and down time with the rebuild. id rather just jump on and go and wait til off season to do my wrenching pending where you live.

how the hell did the front end just collapse on him? slammed a pothole or did a tank slapper?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM

Not sure what I'd pay for it but that doesn't just happen...
Did he hit something?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 PM

Yeah... sounds odd.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:10 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

im glad it didnt happen on the interstate somewhere at high speed.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:28 PM

that whole post in confusing lol an '08 1kr with under 10k miles for 4k??? i just got my 05 for that much.... and i have never heard of a front end just collapsing. The good news is being since its newer there should be a lot of parts for it. i would offer maybe half of what the deal was.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I worked in a bicycle shop in college, stuff like this was called a JRA. "Just riding along", as in I was just riding along, and the whole rear wheel turned itself into a pretzel, nevermind the rear chainstay looks like it has miraculously become tree-shaped.

Something seriously weird happened here, and it doesn't line up with most experiences.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:58 PM

yeah it does sound odd and i'm thinking about maybe buying the bike and parting it out, frame and engine by themselves should bring 5k. so if I buy for say 2000-2500 i can double my money put it with the rest of my stash and get a 08 RR that doesnt need anything....I just hate this happened because I was so close to being back on 2 wheels again...lol

Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 PM

This has bad investment written all over it. There is no way you'll get 5k for the frame and the engine. If you can get it for a grand you might make 1500 to 2 grand when all is said and done

Old 02-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pass. You could replace the front end probably for a decent price, but it's still a wrecked bike.

Quick Reply: geez what luck..