Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Garage Help ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage Help ??

Hey Guys.

My dad's birthday was a few days ago, and I have been pondering on what to get him. I've thought about it since around Christmas time, and I think I want to buy him a nice finish for his garage floor. Any suggestions as to where I could find some quality materials, and how much I would need for a two car garage. I'm not quite sure on the square-footage, but I don't want to ask him, because he will want to know why. Not to mentioned, he most likely would not want me to spend the money on him. My parent have been through a rough time lately, as my mom lost her job in June, and I want this to be a suprise. I'm thinking something along the lines of this:
Name:  garage2.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  35.4 KB

Thanks in Advance for your Help!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:51 PM
Default RE: Garage Help ??

Is that a garage or an extra room!!!! Thats way too nice to be a garage.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 PM

There are some high quality Epoxy garage floor finishing options available out there, and if you do the work yourself they can be quite affordable.

Try the home improvement network's website, or the DIY network (might be the same thing) for some hints on how to get the best results.

You can Google "epoxy garage flooring" as well ...the stuff goes on like paint, but once dried/cured it is super hard, oil/stain/scratch resistant, and if you add a little bit of sand, or some other type of traction enhancing material not that slick when wet.

Home Deopt, and Lowes sell it and I thinksome automotive stores can order it for you as well

Old 01-25-2008, 07:54 PM

I know Lowes and Home Depot carry garage floor stuff like that, not exactly sure on prices though.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: rvizzle

I know Lowes and Home Depot carry garage floor stuff like that, not exactly sure on prices though.

Ya, I would sell it while I worked at a lumber yard. You got two wonderful colors to choose from. Grey or tan. Woopie!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:00 PM

They make it in all sorts of colors nowadays, and you can add colored "chips" that enhance wet traction as well. (almost like spreading confetty accross the floor while the eopxy is still wet)

Old 01-25-2008, 08:18 PM

Yea, I'm thinking a more neutral color add having some chips in it. I was just wondering if anyone on here had any experience with any of it. I've found it online and I think it can be done for under $300, depending on who you get it from. I will probably check at Lowes and Home Depot sometime this weekend.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:27 PM

Quickrete is who makes the stuff at Blowes and Hoe Depo. They have grey, tan and now clear. Its a gallon of epoxy and a quart of harder you mix with it. I need to use it all cause it'll just turn into a boat anchor after a few hours.

I used it at the lumber yard in the bathrooms. DONT put a clear coat over it. It just causes streak marks from your shoes. I wanna say with 1 coat it'll cover 150 - 250 sq ft. Sorry i cant remember and I dont want to get up and see if I still have mine in the garage or at the storage. I recommend more than one coat.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:30 PM

Haven't done it myself yet, but have watched several programs on how to do it (My wife loves the home improvement network, and all of those interior decorating programs)

apparently the harderst part is the prep work.

you have tofill out any cracks and imperfections before begining , and make sure the floor is perfectly clean and dry

after that the epoxy goes on like any other paint, with a roller, and you apply several coats adding the chips before the last coat cures.
to be able to walk on the surface (to apply the chips and more coats of resin) You'd wear some sort of metal spiked cleats to minimize the contact area where you're stepping on.

once all your coats are done it needs to cure for about 24 hours before putting the weight of a car on the finish, and then youre good to go.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:38 PM

My buddy has that quikrete stuff in his garage i think it is very nice. Dont know about applying but it looks good and real easy to clean spills off of it i.e. oil, tranny fluid etc.

Quick Reply: Garage Help ??